LAS VEGAS, Nev. – UMKC men’s basketball (16-15, 8-6) opens the Western Athletic Conference Tournament against UT Rio Grande Valley (10-21, 2-12) at the Orleans Arena Thursday at 9 p.m. CT on KSMO-TV. The Roos swept UTRGV during the regular season.
UMKC recorded its first winning regular season since 2010-11. The Roos have advanced to semifinals of the WAC Tournament in each of the last two seasons.
Senior guard LaVell Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) was named first-team All-WAC on Tuesday. He enters Thursday’s contest with 996 career points and is set to become the first junior college transfer in program history and the 11th player overall to join the 1,000-Point Club.
All-Time Series: 11-11
In Kansas City: 7-4
In Edinburg: 3-7
Neutral Site: 1-0
Live Stream: WAC Digital Network
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: WAC Sports
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC finished the regular season 16-15 and 8-6 in Western Athletic Conference play. The winning record was the first for the Roos since 2010-11 and the eight conference victories tie the most since 2014-15.
· Senior guard LaVell Boyd was voted first-team All-WAC by the league's head coaches. He averages 18.0 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists.
· UMKC went on a recent 5-game winning streak. It was the first time the Roos took five straight since winning 11 in a row from Jan. 3 - Feb. 3, 2005. UMKC had a 19.2-point average victory margin (87.2-68.0) during the run.
· Throughout the winning streak, UMKC shot 48 percent from the field and 40 percent from 3-point range. The Roos averaged 11.8 triples per game.
· UMKC's 30-point, 102-72 victory over Seattle U on Feb. 11 marked the largest margin of victory in a conference game since joining the WAC prior to the 2013-14 season. It also tied the second-largest margin of victory in program history in a conference contest.
· The Roos rank 38th nationally in 3-pointers per game (9.1), 45th in 3-pointers (273) and 55th in shots attempted from beyond the arc (761).
· UMKC has drained 283 3-pointers this season, which ties the program record previously held by the 2007-08 squad.
· The Roos are averaging 77.3 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· LaVell Boyd averages 16.1 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 62 career games (61 starts). He has drained 158 triples in that span, which ranks seventh in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 17 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 52 games during his 2-year career.
· Boyd enters the game with 996 career points. He is four points shy of becoming the 11th member of the program's 1,000-Point Club. He is on pace to become the first 2-year junior college transfer in program history to go over 1,000 points for his career.
· Boyd's 120 assists this season are the fifth-most in program history and only 11 behind Quinton Day's record of 131 in 2006-07.
The winner of Thursday’s contest will play the winner of No. 2 New Mexico State (5-25, 11-3) and No. 7 Chicago State (6-25, 1-13) at 10:30 p.m. CT Friday on ESPN3.
– UMKC –