KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (12-13, 4-4) embarks on the final home stand of the season by beginning the 3-game stretch against Utah Valley (10-12, 2-5) at 6:35 p.m. CT Thursday at Municipal Auditorium.
The Roos are coming off a 73-60 victory at UT Rio Grande Valley in which the Roos overcame a 16-point deficit, trailed by 11 at halftime and outscored the Vaqueros 42-18 in the second half to earn a 73-60 win.
UMKC fell 86-76 at Utah Valley on Jan. 14 in Orem, Utah. The teams combined to shoot 84 free throws (42 each) in that contest.
All-Time Series: 6-9
In Kansas City: 4-3
In Orem: 1-6
Neutral Site: 1-0
Live Stream: WAC Digital Network
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 12-13 overall and 4-4 during WAC play. The Roos are coming off a 93-76 victory over Ottawa in the nonconference finale on Tuesday. UMKC drained 16 triples, which was one shy of the school record.
· Kyle Steward was named WAC Player of the Week after scoring 20 points and grabbing a career-high 14 rebounds at UTRGV. For the week, he averaged 20.0 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists. He shot 50 percent (12-for-24) from the floor, 47 percent (7-for-15) from beyond the arc and 82 percent (9-for-11) from the free throw line for the week. Over the last five games, Steward leads the Roos by averaging 15.4 points and 6.8 rebounds.
· LaVell Boyd is averaging 18.1 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists per contest. He ranks 34th nationally in made free throws (119), 55th in total points (452) and 90th in points per game (18.1).
· Broderick Newbill has scored in double figures in six straight contests after doing so only twice in the first 19 games.
· UMKC ranks 34th nationally in 3-pointers (223) and 35th in shots attempted from beyond the arc (607) and 49th in 3-pointers per game (8.9).
· UMKC recorded a positive or equal assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last seven victories, including a season-best 18-to-9 total at Seattle U Jan. 12.
· The Roos set a season-high with 24 assists in the Jan. 31 victory over Ottawa, marking the highest total during the Kareem Richardson era.
· UMKC went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, final seconds victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 triumph over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· The Roos are averaging 76.0 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· Boyd averages 15.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 56 career games (55 starts). He has drained 140 triples in that span, which ranks eighth in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 16 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 47 games during his 2-year career.
UMKC hosts Seattle U at 7:05 p.m. CT on Saturday in downtown Kansas City. The Roos then conclude the home schedule with Chicago State at 5:05 p.m. CT on Feb. 18 on Senior Day.
– UMKC –