OREM, Utah – UMKC men’s basketball (9-10, 2-1) takes its 2-game Western Athletic Conference winning streak to Utah Valley (8-9, 0-2) Saturday for an 8 p.m. CT tipoff on KSMO-TV in the Kansas City area. The game is also being live streamed by Utah Valley.
The Roos have won consecutive conference games vs. UT Rio Grande Valley last Saturday and at Seattle U on Thursday night. UMKC drained 12 triples, dished out 18 assists and committed only nine turnovers in Thursday’s 84-68 victory over the Redhawks, marking the second-largest margin of victory on the road since the Roos joined the WAC for the 2013-14 season.
All-Time Series: 6-8
In Orem: 1-5
In Kansas City: 4-3
Neutral Site: 1-0
Live Stream: WolverineGreen.com/watch
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 9-10 overall and 2-1 in WAC play following an 84-68 victory over Seattle U on Thursday night at KeyArena. The Roos drained 12 shots from beyond the arc, dished out 18 assists and committed only nine turnovers.
· Kyle Steward led the Roos with a career-high 21 points to go along with nine rebounds. He came off the bench for the first time this season. Steward finished 4-for-6 from distance and 7-for-8 from the foul line.
· LaVell Boyd is averaging 18.9 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.5 assists per contest. He ranks 20th nationally in total points (360), 27th in made free throws (88), 28th in field goal attempts (259), 45th in 3-pointers (50) and 56th in points per game (18.9).
· Boyd was named WAC Player of the Week two weeks ago following a career-high 32-point performance vs. UT Martin on Dec. 20. He has scored in double figures in 18 straight games and has registered at least 15 points in 16 of those contests.
· UMKC ranks 16th nationally in 3-pointers (174), 17th in shots attempted (469) from beyond the arc and 48th in 3-pointers per game (9.2).
· UMKC recorded a positive or equal assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last five victories, including a season-best 18-to-9 total Thursday at Seattle U.
· The Roos set a season-high with 19 assists on 27 made field goals in the Jan. 7 win over UTRGV. Boyd led the way with six dimes.
· UMKC went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, final seconds victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 triumph over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· The Roos are averaging 75.8 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· Boyd averages 16.0 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 50 career games (49 starts). He has drained 131 triples in that span, which ranks 10th in program history. He has scored 20-plus points 14 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 42 games during his 2-year career in Kansas City.
UMKC will take a weeklong break from game action before completing its 3-game road swing at New Mexico State on Jan. 21. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT in another contest that will air on KSMO-TV in the Kansas City viewing area.
– UMKC –