KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (7-10, 0-1) continues Western Athletic Conference play against UT Rio Grande Valley (9-9, 1-0) with a 7:05 p.m. tipoff Saturday at Municipal Auditorium. The Roos are looking for their first conference victory while UTRGV is coming off of a win at Chicago State in the WAC opener on Thursday.
All-Time Series: UTRGV leads 11-9
In Kansas City: 6-4
In Edinburg: 2-7
Neutral Site: 1-0
Live Stream: Roos TV
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 7-10 overall and is coming off of a 77-64 loss in the WAC opener against New Mexico State on Thursday evening at Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City.
· LaVell Boyd led UMKC with 15 points to go along with four rebounds.
· Kyle Steward added eight points and a career-high 12 rebounds.
· Boyd is averaging 19.3 points, 3.8 rebounds and 3.3 assists per contest. He ranks 17th nationally in total points (328) and field goal attempts (241), 27th in made free throws (80), 37th in 3-pointers (46) and 56th in points per game (19.3).
· Boyd was named WAC Player of the Week last week following a career-high 32-point performance vs. UT Martin on Dec. 20. He has scored in double figures in 16 straight games and has registered at least 15 points in 14 of those contests.
· UMKC ranks 19th nationally in 3-pointers (153) 18th in shots attempted (420) from beyond the arc and 58th in 3-pointers per game (9.0).
· UMKC recorded a positive assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last three victories over Southeast Missouri, South Dakota and William Jewell.
· The Roos set a season-high with 18 assists in the Nov. 28 victory over SEMO. Those 18 dimes came on 25 made field goals.
· UMKC went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, final seconds victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 triumph over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· The Roos are averaging 74.9 points per game, which is the fifth-best mark in program history and the highest scoring average since 1992-93. The 1990-91 team, led by 19.3 points per game by UMKC Hall of Famer Ronnie Schmitz, posted the best mark in school history with 81.1 points per game.
· Boyd averages 16.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 48 career games (47 starts). He has drained a team-high 127 triples in that span. He has scored 20-plus points 14 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 40 games throughout his 2-year career in Kansas City.
UMKC travels to Seattle U on Thursday for a 9 p.m. CT tipoff and then will head to Utah Valley for an 8 p.m. CT start on Saturday.
– UMKC –