MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – UMKC men’s basketball (7-5) travels to No. 12 West Virginia (8-1) for a 1 p.m. CT Saturday tipoff at WVU Coliseum. The Roos are facing a nationally-ranked opponent for the third time in 13 games this season. UMKC previously played at No. 3 Kansas and No. 22 Creighton. Saturday’s contest against the Mountaineers will be televised regionally on the east coast by Root Sports.
All-Time Series: 1st meeting
In Morgantown: 0-0
In Kansas City: 0-0
Neutral Site: 0-0
TV: Root Sports
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 7-5 overall and is coming off of an 80-75 loss to Omaha on Thursday night in downtown Kansas City. The loss was the first in six home contests for the Roos this season.
· LaVell Boyd led UMKC with a career-high 27 points to go along with six assists and five rebounds on Thursday evening. He finished 9-for-20 from the floor and 7-for-9 from the foul line.
· Boyd is averaging 19.8 points, 4.1 assists and 3.6 rebounds per contest. He ranks 11th nationally in total points (237), 18th in field goals (77), 28th in 3-pointers (33) and 50th in made free throws (50). He ranks second in the WAC in scoring (19.1) and is tied for second in free throw percentage (86.2).
· The Roos rank eighth nationally in 3-pointers (119), 18th in 3-pointers per game (9.9), 24th in 3-point field goal percentage (40.5) and 36th in steals (84).
· UMKC shot 63. 2 percent (12-for-19) from 3-point range in the Nov. 28 win over SEMO, marking the highest single-game 3-point shooting percentage for the Roos since Feb. 9, 2012 vs. North Dakota State in a 72-61 victory.
· By shooting 40.5 percent (119-for-294) from beyond the arc, UMKC has recorded its second-highest single-season 3-point shooting line to date. The high is a 41.5 percent (148-for-357) mark by the 1991-92 squad that finished 20-8 and defeated Texas A&M (twice), Baylor and Creighton.
· The Roos set a season-high with 18 assists in the Nov. 28 victory over SEMO. Those 18 dimes came on 25 made field goals.
· UMKC recorded a positive assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last three victories over Southeast Missouri, South Dakota and William Jewell.
· The Roos went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, last-minute victory over the host Falcons on Nov. 19 and an 85-74 victory over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State on Nov. 20.
· Boyd averages 15.7 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 43 career games (42 starts). He has drained a team-high 114 triples in that span. He has scored 20-plus points 13 times and has reached double figures in scoring in 35 games throughout his two-year career in Kansas City.
UMKC returns home to face UT Martin at 7:35 p.m. CT on Tuesday at Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City.
– UMKC –