KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (6-4) welcomes William Jewell (3-5) for an area matchup at 4:05 p.m. Saturday afternoon. It will be ‘Kansas City Day’ at Municipal Auditorium with the Roos wearing specially-designed Kansas City-themed skyline uniforms from Charlie Hustle.
Senior guard LaVell Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) is averaging 18.9 points, 3.7 assists and 3.2 rebounds and 1.0 steal per contest. He ranks 18th nationally in 3-pointers (30) and 30th in the country in total points (189).
All-Time Series: 2-0
In Kansas City: 2-0
In Liberty: N/A
Neutral Site: N/A
Last Meeting: UMKC 73, William Jewell 59, Nov. 15, 2015, Municipal Auditorium, Kansas City, Mo.
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stream: Roos TV
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 6-4 overall and coming off of a loss at No. 3 Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse on Tuesday. UMKC opened the season 6-2, its best start in 15 years, when the Roos also began 6-2 following a 5-0 start in 2001.
· The Roos drained their first five 3-pointers and first six of seven from beyond the arc on Tuesday but were unable to hold up with powerful offensive attack from the Jayhawks, ultimately falling 105-62.
· LaVell Boyd is averaging 18.9 points, 3.7 assists and 3.2 rebounds per contest. He ranks 18th in the country in 3-pointers (30) and 30th nationally in total points (189).
· The Roos rank fifth nationally in made 3-pointers (105), 11th in 3-point field goal percentage (42.5) and 12th in 3-pointers per game (10.5). They drained a season-high 13 treys at South Dakota State on Dec. 3.
· UMKC shot 63.2 percent (12-for-19) from 3-point range in the Nov. 28 win over SEMO, marking the highest single-game 3-point shooting percentage for the Roos since posting the exact same total vs. North Dakota State on Feb. 9, 2012 in a 72-61 victory.
· UMKC's roster features six seniors and six players that saw significant playing time last season, including three players that earned 13-plus starts.
· By shooting 42.5 percent (105-for-247) from beyond the arc, UMKC has recorded its highest single-season 3-point shooting line to date. The Roos hold a 1.0 percent advantage over the 41.5 percent (148-for-357) mark by the 1991-92 squad that finished 20-8 and defeated Texas A&M (twice), Baylor and Creighton.
· The Roos set a season-high with 18 assists in the Nov. 28 victory over SEMO. Those 18 dimes came on 25 made field goals.
· UMKC recorded a positive assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last two victories over Southeast Missouri and South Dakota.
· The Roos went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, last-minute victory over the host Falcons and an 85-74 victory over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State.
· Boyd averages 15.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 41 career games (40 starts). He has drained a team-high 111 triples in that span.
UMKC will host Omaha at 6:35 p.m. CT on Thursday, Dec. 15 at Municipal Auditorium. The game will be televised on KSMO-TV in the Kansas City viewing area. The Roos then travel to West Virginia for a 1 p.m. CT matchup in Morgantown on Saturday, Dec. 17.
– UMKC –