LAWRENCE Kan. – UMKC men’s basketball (6-3) visits No. 3 Kansas (7-1) Tuesday night for a 7 p.m. CT tipoff at iconic Allen Fieldhouse. The game will be available on ESPN3/WatchESPN. The Roos are coming off of a 77-68 loss at South Dakota State on Saturday. Prior to that contest, UMKC opened the season 6-2, the best start for the program in 15 years.
Senior guard LaVell Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) is averaging 19.1 points, 3.9 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 1.0 steal per contest. He ranks 22nd nationally in 3-pointers (28) and 35th in the country in total points (172).
All-Time Series: 0-6
In Lawrence: 0-4
In Kansas City: 0-2
Neutral Site: 0-1 (Golden Harvest Classic, 1992, Kansas City, Mo.)
Last Meeting: KU 99, UMKC 52, Jan. 5, 2011, Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, Kan.
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stream: Jayhawk TV/ESPN3/WatchESPN
Live Stats: http://sidearmstats.com/kansas/mbball/
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· UMKC is 6-3 overall and coming off of a 77-68 loss at South Dakota State on Saturday. UMKC opened the season 6-2, its best start in 15 years, when the Roos also began 6-2 following a 5-0 start in 2001.
· The Roos started Saturday's contest on a 14-2 run but that lead would not hold up as the Jackrabbits came back to extend their home winning streak to 31 games, which ranks second nationally to Kansas at 46 games.
· LaVell Boyd is averaging 19.1 points, 3.9 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 1.0 steals per contest. He ranks 22nd nationally in 3-pointers (22) and 35th in the country in total points (172).
· The Roos rank fifth nationally in made 3-pointers (95), seventh in 3-point field goal percentage (43.0) and 14th in 3-pointers per game (10.6). They drained a season-high 13 treys during Saturday's contest Brookings.
· UMKC shot 63.2 percent (12-for-19) from 3-point range in the Nov. 28 win over SEMO, marking the highest single-game 3-point shooting percentage for the Roos since posting the exact same total vs. North Dakota State on Feb. 9, 2012 in a 72-61 victory.
· UMKC's roster features six seniors and six players that saw significant playing time last season, including three players that earned 13-plus starts.
· By shooting 43.0 percent (95-for-221) from beyond the arc, UMKC has recorded its highest single-season 3-point shooting line to date. The Roos hold a 1.5 percent advantage over the 41.5 percent (148-for-357) mark by the 1991-92 squad that finished 20-8 and defeated Texas A&M (twice), Baylor and Creighton.
· The Roos set a season-high with 18 assists in the Nov. 28 victory over SEMO. Those 18 dimes came on 25 made field goals.
· UMKC recorded a positive assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last two victories over Southeast Missouri and South Dakota.
· The Roos went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, last-minute victory over the host Falcons and an 85-74 victory over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State.
· Boyd averages 15.3 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 40 career games (39 starts). He has drained a team-high 109 triples in that span.
Following Tuesday’s game, UMKC returns home for a 4:05 p.m. CT tipoff on Saturday vs. William Jewell as part of a doubleheader at Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City. The UMKC women’s team tips off at 1 p.m. vs. Omaha.
Saturday’s doubleheader will feature a ‘Kansas City Day’ promotion with both UMKC squads wearing special Kansas City-themed uniforms designed by Charlie Hustle. The exclusive merchandise will be available for purchase at the game that will be honoring civic pride and outstanding community support of the Roos basketball programs.
– UMKC –