BROOKINGS, S.D. – UMKC men’s basketball (6-2) visits South Dakota State (3-6) for an 11 a.m. CT tipoff Saturday in a game that will be televised on KSMO-TV in the Kansas City area. Neil Harwell (play-by-play) and Joel Goldberg (color commentary) will have the call. The Roos are off to the program’s best start in 15 years when UMKC also opened 6-2 following a 5-0 start in 2001.
Senior guard LaVell Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) is averaging 21.6 points and 5.0 assists per game over the last five contests. He has established new career-highs in assists in each of the last two games with eight vs. South Dakota and seven vs. Southeast Missouri.
All-Time Series: 6-12
In Kansas City: 4-6
In Brookings: 2-6
Last Meeting: UMKC 64, SDSU 57, Nov. 28, 2015, Municipal Auditorium, Kansas City, Mo.
Kansas City provider channel numbers: Time Warner (10), Consolidated (10), Comcast (10), Google Fiber (10), AT&T U-verse (62), DirecTV (62) and Dish Network (62)
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stream: Midco Sports Network/ESPN3
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
· At 6-2, UMKC is off to its best start in 15 years, when the Roos also opened 6-2 following a 5-0 start in 2001.
· UMKC has won six of the last seven games and completed a perfect 3-game home stand on Wednesday with victories over South Dakota, Southeast Missouri and Arkansas Monticello.
· LaVell Boyd is averaging 21.6 points and 5.0 assists per game over the last five contests. He has established new career-highs in assists in each of the last two games with eight vs. South Dakota and seven vs. Southeast Missouri.
· The Roos rank fourth nationally in 3-point field goal percentage (43.9), seventh in made 3-pointers (82) and 17th in 3-pointers per game (10.3). UMKC has drained 82 of 187 shots from beyond the arc, including at least 11 in five contests, including each of the last four games.
· UMKC shot 63.2 percent (12-for-19) from 3-point range in Monday's win over SEMO, marking the highest single-game 3-point shooting percentage for the Roos since posting the exact same total vs. North Dakota State on Feb. 9, 2012 in a 72-61 victory.
· UMKC's roster features six seniors and six players that saw significant playing time last season, including three players that earned 13-plus starts.
· The Roos set a season-high with 18 assists in Monday's victory over SEMO. Those 18 dimes came on 25 made field goals.
· UMKC also tied a season-best with 12 made 3-pointers for the second consecutive game vs. the Redhawks. Against SEMO, the Roos shot 63 percent (12-for-19) from beyond the arc. Seven different Kansas City players connected from downtown.
· The Roos recorded a positive assist-to-turnover ratio in each of the last two victories over Southeast Missouri and South Dakota.
· The Roos went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament Nov. 19-21 hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, last-minute victory over the host Falcons and an 85-74 victory over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State.
· Boyd averages 15.2 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 39 career games (38 starts). He has drained a team-high 104 triples in that span.
UMKC travels to Kansas for a 7 p.m. CT Tuesday tipoff in iconic Allen Fieldhouse. The game will be available on ESPN3.
– UMKC –