KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (5-2) wraps up a 3-game home stand Wednesday with a 6:35 p.m. CT tipoff against South Dakota (6-2) at Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City. The Roos are looking to complete a perfect home swing after earning victories over Southeast Missouri on Monday and Arkansas Monticello on Friday.
Senior guard LaVell Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) leads the WAC in scoring with 19.1 points per game. He has scored 21-plus points in four straight contests and 18-plus in the last six games. He scored a season-high 24 points vs. SEMO on Monday and added career-highs with seven assists and 12 made free throws (on 12 attempts). Boyd is shooting 91 percent (30-for-33) from the free throw line.
All-Time Series: South Dakota leads 3-2
In Kansas City: 1-1
In Vermillion: 1-2
Last Meeting: USD 79, UMKC 70, Dec. 8, 2015, DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
· UMKC is 5-2 early in the season and is aiming for a perfect 3-game home stand that has featured victories over Arkansas Monticello on Friday and Southeast Missouri on Monday.
· In Monday's win over SEMO, senior guard LaVell Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) scored a game-high 24 points and posted career-highs with seven assists and 12 made free throws. He was perfect from the foul line with all 12 coming in the second half.
· Boyd has scored 21-plus points in each of the last four contests and has scored 18-plus in the last six games.
· UMKC shot 63.2 percent (12-for-19) from 3-point range in Monday's win over the Redhawks, marking the highest single-game 3-point shooting percentage for the Roos since posting the exact same total vs. North Dakota State on Feb. 9, 2012 in a 72-61 victory.
· Boyd leads the WAC in scoring with 19.1 points per game. He ranks second in program history in 3-point shooting (43.2%, 101-for-234) and third in free throw percentage (84.0%, 89-for-106).
· UMKC's roster features six seniors and six players that saw significant playing time last season, including three players that earned 13-plus starts.
· The Roos set a season-high with 18 assists in Monday's victory. Those 18 dimes came on 25 made field goals.
· UMKC also tied a season-best with 12 made 3-pointers for the second consecutive game. Against SEMO, the Roos shot 63 percent (12-for-19) from beyond the arc. Seven different Kansas City players connected from downtown.
· The Roos recorded a positive 18-to-14 assist-to-turnover ratio in Monday's win over the Redhawks.
· The Roos went 2-1 at the Bill Frack Tournament last weekend hosted by Bowling Green, including a thrilling 71-69, last-minute victory over the host Falcons and an 85-74 victory over perennial mid-major powerhouse Murray State.
· Boyd averages 15.1 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 38 career games (37 starts). He has drained a team-high 101 triples in that span.
Following Wednesday’s game, UMKC travels to South Dakota State for an 11 a.m. CT tipoff Saturday in Brookings that will air live on KSMO-TV in the Kansas City area. Neil Harwell and Joel Goldberg will have the call.
– UMKC –