KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC men’s basketball (0-1) opens the regular season home schedule with a 6:35 p.m. CT tipoff vs. Drake (0-1) on Tuesday at Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City. The Roos gave No. 22 Creighton a scare on Friday night, falling 89-82 after a valiant comeback attempt in the second half when UMKC outscored the Bluejays 48-34.
Kareem Richardson’s roster features six seniors and six players that saw significant playing time in 2015-16. Preseason All-Western Athletic Conference selections Martez Harrison (Kansas City, Mo.) and LaVell Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) lead the way. Harrison averages 16.7 points, 4.0 assists, 3.1 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game for his career. Boyd averaged 14.1 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per contest in 2015-16, his first season with the program. Richardson enters his fourth season at the helm of the Roos program.
All-Time Series: UMKC leads 1-0
In Kansas City: N/A
In Des Moines: 1-0
Neutral Site: N/A
Last Meeting: UMKC 79, Drake 73, Nov. 21, 2015, Knapp Center, Des Moines, Iowa
Live Stream: Roos TV
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
Live Stats: UMKCstats.com
· UMKC hosts Drake of the Missouri Valley Conference in the regular season home opener at 6:35 p.m. CT Tuesday at Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City.
· The Roos gave No. 22 Creighton a scare on Friday evening at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, falling 89-82 after outscoring the Bluejays 48-34 in the second half.
· Martez Harrison (Kansas City, Mo.) led UMKC with 17 points, tied a career-high with five steals and added four assists. He scored 15 points and made three steals in the second half to lead the Roos comeback attempt.
· Duane Clark (St. Louis, Mo.), Dashawn King (Bronx, N.Y.) and Darnell Tillman (St. Louis, Mo.) all scored in double figures with 10 points each. Tillman added a team-high seven rebounds while Clark grabbed five. King scored all of his points during 13 minutes of the first half.
· Kareem Richardson enters his fourth season as head coach at UMKC and signed a contract extension through 2020-21 during the offseason. For the first time during his tenure, he returns his entire coaching staff.
· UMKC's roster features six seniors and six players that saw significant playing time last season, including three players that earned 13-plus starts.
· Harrison leads all current WAC players in career scoring (1,570 points), points per game (16.7), field goals made (475), field goal attempts (1,172), made free throws (500), free throw attempts (700), assists (373) and steals (153). He is four assists shy of tying another Kansas City product, Quinton Day, (2004-07), for the program record.
· Boyd averaged 14.1 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game last season, his first with the program. He was named to the WAC All-Newcomer Team after leading the team with 81 made 3-pointers. Boyd shot 43 percent from the floor, 42 percent from 3-point range and a team-best 81 percent from the foul line. He was named WAC Player of the Week for the final week of the season after scoring a career-high 26 points at Chicago State.
Harrison Within Four of Career Assists Record
· With 373 career steals, Martez Harrison is only four away from tying another former hometown standout Quinton Day (2004-07) for the program record.
· Harrison averages 4.0 assists per contest in 94 career games (89 starts).
· Day set the record in only three seasons after transferring to UMKC from USC.
UMKC travels to Bowling Green, Ohio this upcoming weekend to participate in the Bill Frack Tournament. The Roos will play at 3 p.m. CT on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, taking on host Bowling Green, Murray State and Green Bay.
Purchase Season Tickets
Season tickets are available for as low as $99 for lower level reserved seating. A free parking pass is included with the purchase of two or more tickets. A brand new ticket exchange program offers fans ultimate flexibility in seating locations. Additionally, all groups of 10 or more qualify for discount tickets and will receive exclusive game day experiences, including on-court access, team autograph sessions and free #TeamKC t-shirts.
– UMKC –