OMAHA, Neb. – UMKC men’s basketball begins the 2016-17 regular season at No. 22 Creighton Friday night at the CenturyLink Center. Tipoff is scheduled for 8:01 p.m. CT and the game will air on a number of FOX Sports affiliates, including FOX Sports Kansas City Plus. Kansas City Royals broadcaster Steve Physioc will handle the play-by-play while Nick Bahe will provide color commentary. See below for a detailed list of television providers and channels carrying the contest.
Kareem Richardson’s roster features six seniors and six players that saw significant playing time in 2015-16. Preseason All-Western Athletic Conference selections Martez Harrison (Kansas City, Mo.) and LaVell Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) lead the way. Harrison averages 16.7 points, 4.0 assists, 3.1 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game for his career. Boyd averaged 14.1 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per contest in 2015-16, his first season with the program. Richardson enters his fourth season at the helm of the Roos program.
All-Time Series: Creighton leads 8-3
In Omaha: 0-6
In Kansas City: 3-2
Neutral Site: N/A
Last Meeting: Creighton 96, UMKC 70, Nov. 11, 2013, CenturyLink Center, Omaha, Neb.
Television: FOX Sports affiliates (including FOX Sports Kansas City Plus)
Broadcast Team: Steve Physioc (Play-by-Play), Nick Bahe (Color Commentary)
Radio: ESPN KC 99.3 FM
Live Stream / Mobile App: FOX Sports GO
Social Media: @UMKCmbb
Live Stats: GoCreighton.com
· UMKC opens the regular season with an 8:01 p.m. CT tipoff at Creighton on Friday night at the 17,390-seat CenturyLink Center in Omaha.
· The Roos won their exhibition opener vs. Missouri S&T, 79-55, on Saturday afternoon at Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City.
· Martez Harrison (Kansas City, Mo.) led all scorers with 14 points in 14 minutes to go along with four assists, three rebounds and a steal. LaVell "Pep" Boyd (Chicago, Ill.) added 10 points, three boards and two assists while Broderick Newbill (Kansas City, Mo.) scored 10 points. Xavier Bishop (Springfield, Ill.) dished out a game-high five assists and Jordan Giles (Tuscaloosa, Ala.) grabbed a team-best seven rebounds in the UMKC debuts as true freshmen.
· Kareem Richardson enters his fourth season as head coach at UMKC and signed a contract extension through 2020-21 during the offseason. For the first time during Richardson's tenure, he returns his entire coaching staff. Richardson is 36-58 with the Roos.
· Over the last two seasons, UMKC has earned victories over SEC opponents Mississippi State (12/12/15) and Missouri (11/14/14).
· UMKC's roster features six seniors and six players that saw significant playing time last season, including three players that earned 13-plus starts.
· Harrison leads all current WAC players in career scoring (1,553 points), points per game (16.7), field goals made (469), field goal attempts (1,156), made free throws (496), free throw attempts (696), assists (369) and steals (148). He was the 2014-15 WAC Player of the Year and an honorable mention Associated Press All-American.
· Boyd averaged 14.1 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game last season, his first with the program. He was named to the WAC All-Newcomer Team after leading the team with 81 made 3-pointers. Boyd shot 43 percent from the floor, 42 percent from 3-point range and a team-best 81 percent from the foul line. He was named WAC Player of the Week for the final week of the season after scoring a career-high 26 points at Chicago State.
FOX Sports Affiliates to Carry Season Opener
· Friday's game between UMKC and Creighton will air on a number of FOX Sports affiliates regionally and nationally.
· DirecTV will air the game live on channel 671-1, AT&T U-Verse will carry it on channels 1747 (HD) and 747 (SD) while DISH Network will have the contest on channels 451 and 412-39, Comcast is carrying it on 261, 863 and 925, Google Fiber has it on 206 and Consolidated/Surewest will broadcast on 54 and 696.
· The contest will air live on FOX Sports Midwest (Kansas City Plus, Nebraska and Kansas), FOX Sports North (Plus), FOX Sports Southeast (non-Hornets), FOX Sports Southwest (Plus), FOX Sports Wisconsin, Sports Time Ohio, MASN 2, FOX Sports Detroit (Plus), FOX Sports Florida (non-Magic) and FOX Sports Arizona.
· The game will air on tape delay late Friday through Monday afternoon on various networks. For a full listing of the TV schedule, visit the @UMKCmbb Twitter feed or UMKC Men's Basketball Facebook page.
UMKC opens the regular season home schedule on Tuesday, Nov. 15 with a 6:35 p.m. CT tipoff vs. Drake at Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City.
Purchase Season Tickets
Season tickets are available for as low as $99 for lower level reserved seating. A free parking pass is included with the purchase of two or more tickets. A brand new ticket exchange program offers fans ultimate flexibility in seating locations. Additionally, all groups of 10 or more qualify for discount tickets and will receive exclusive game day experiences, including on-court access, team autograph sessions and free #TeamKC t-shirts.
– UMKC –