BROWNSVILLE, Texas. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (11-12) saw its tournament run end at the hands of New Mexico State, 4-3, on Saturday afternoon. The Roos were the reigning WAC Champions entering the match.
The Roos fought through a slow start to their semifinals opponent to bring the score back to even in the last few match-ups in singles play. Coming down to the No. 4 spot for both teams, Riddhi Sharma kept the pressure on New Mexico State but ended up falling in the third set to her opponent 6-3.
After letting the doubles point go to the Aggies in two sets, UMKC would provide a flurry of victories with wins in the No. 2, 5 and 6 spots to bring the score back to 3-3 heading into the final match-up during singles play.
Looking for a three-peat at the WAC Tournament, UMKC will now head home after going to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2017 and 2018.
In the WAC Tournament, the Roos are now 1-1 all-time in postseason play against the Aggies.
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 6, 1, 2, 4
1. Keijzerwaard,Rebecca (NMSU) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Katie Fries (UMKC) def. Harlas, Lindsay (NMSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
3. Challa, Harsha (NMSU) def. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) 6-4, 6-3
4. Torregrosa, Neus (NMSU) def. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Grace Ball (UMKC) def. Rubio, Yadira (NMSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) def. Kalaga, Gavi (NMSU) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
– UMKC –