BROWNSVILLE, Texas. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (11-11) began its run at another WAC Tournament title with a victory in the quarterfinals round against Seattle U, 4-1, on Friday morning.
Looking to get back to the NCAA Tournament for the third straight year, the Roos delivered a strong outing in doubles and singles play to start their journey towards another postseason championship.
UMKC ran through doubles play with early victories in the No. 1 and 2 spots, clinching the doubles point heading into the singles rounds. Riddhi Sharma and Thanushree Vale notched the point with a close win of 6-4 in the No. 2 hole.
The Roos would prove to be too much for Seattle U once again in singles play as the No. 3, 4 and 6 spots would obtain the three points needed to move on in the WAC Tournament. Vale would grab the final point of the match for UMKC in the No. 6 spot with set scores of 7-5, 6-4.
In WAC postseason play, the Roos are now 3-0 against Seattle U all time since entering the conference back in the 2013-14 season.
This is also UMKC’s fifth victory in a row for the WAC Tournament dating back to the 2017 campaign.
Up Next: The Roos will move on to the semifinal round of the WAC Tournament and face off with New Mexico State on Saturday, Apr. 27th at 9 a.m. CT
Order of Finish: 1, 2
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 5, 6
1. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) vs. Gianan, Hannah (SU) 7-6, 3-4, unfinished
2. Katie Fries (UMKC) vs. Jung, Kyra (SU) 6-2, 1-6, 3-0, unfinished
3. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) def. Rasmussen, Jillian (SU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) def. Sabotic, Alisa (SU) 6-3, 6-1
5. McCollister, Kali (SU) def. Grace Ball (UMKC) 6-4, 6-3
6. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) def. Kreutzer, Lily-Ana (SU) 7-5, 6-4
– UMKC –