LINCOLN, Neb. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (1-3) dropped its second match of the weekend to Nebraska, 4-0, on Sunday afternoon.
It was an all-round tough day for the Roos, who lost their doubles point with close sets in the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Michela Xibilia and Yana Grechkina nearly halted a come-from behind victory from Nebraska but fell to the Cornhuskers at a score of 7-5.
When the Roos began singles play at the Dillon Tennis Center, UMKC would drop its first three sets, concluding the match before the middle of the pack could finish.
Starting last season with a 3-1 record to kick of 2018, UMKC has flipped the script for the 2019 season with a 1-3 start.
“It was tough to recover in some singles today after having a good opportunity to take the doubles point,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “We were up pretty big at one and three spots in doubles and Nebraska fought back. Michela finally made it into the lineup and will get better as she gets more matches under her belt.”
Up Next: UMKC will head back up to the state of Nebraska to take on Omaha on Feb. 9 at 12 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6
1. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) vs. Katie Fries (UMKC) 6-4, 3-1, unfinished
3. Marina Cozac (NEB) vs. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
4. Jessica Aragon (NEB) vs. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
5. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) def. Grace Ball (UMKC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 6-4, 6-1
– UMKC –