BROWNSVILLE, Texas. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (10-11) used its current winning streak from the regular season and glided past Seattle U, 4-0, in the quarterfinals round of the WAC Tournament on Friday afternoon.
It was a swift victory for a UMKC team that has won three straight matches entering Friday’s contest. The Roos obtained the double point versus the Redhawks in swift sets as the No. 1 and 2 spots guided UMKC to a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
The match would soon be completed in the next three singles match-ups as the No. 4, 5 and 6 spots for UMKC would lock up the contest and propel the team to the WAC semifinals round for the fourth year in a row.
Neil O’Connor, Hunter Clark and Anil Patel all extended their win streaks after their victories in latter part of the order for singles play.
In regards to WAC history, the Roos are now 2-0 all-time against the Redhawks in the conference tournament.
Up Next: The Roos will advance to the semifinal round of the WAC Tournament to face off with New Mexico State on Saturday, Apr. 27th at 1 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 1, 2
2. Hunter Clark/Anil Patel (UMKC) def. Givens-Jensen, Billy/Chan, Alex (SU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6
1. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) vs. Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 7-6, unfinished
2. Ben Stride (UMKC) vs. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-0, 4-5, unfinished
3. Tom Kruse (UMKC) vs. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 7-5, 4-1, unfinished
4. Hunter Clark (UMKC) def. Chan, Alex (SU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Neil O'Connor (UMKC) def. Alvarez-Sanabria, A. (SU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Anil Patel (UMKC) def. Givens-Jensen, Billy (SU) 6-3, 6-1
– UMKC –