LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (6-11) failed to keep up with New Mexico State on Sunday afternoon and lost its second conference game of the season at a score of 6-1.
After losing the doubles point with defeats in the No. 2 and 3 spots, the Roos struggled to bounce back down the line in singles play. Ben Stride and Diego Giraldo gave UMKC a boost in the No. 1 spot once again during the doubles competition but the Roos had lost the point before the pair had finished the match.
Giraldo and Tom Kruse both played into the third set for their match-ups in singles play but came away empty. Kruse played into a tiebreaker for his third set which resulted in a 10-6 defeat in the No. 3 hole.
The Roos have now fallen to a 1-2 record in WAC play to begin the conference season.
With the win in the No. 1 spot for doubles play, Stride and Giraldo have now improved to 12-4 on the 2019 season.
Up Next: The Roos will have a break from match play until Apr. 12th when the team takes on Seattle U in Chicago, Ill., at 1 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
2. Asmar, Enrique/Menard, Louis (NMSU) def. Anil Patel/Hunter Clark (UMKC) 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 2, 5, 1, 3
1. de Haan, Stijn (NMSU) def. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Menard, Louis (NMSU) def. Ben Stride (UMKC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Simecek, Martin (NMSU) def. Tom Kruse (UMKC) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Benitez, Mauri (NMSU) def. Hunter Clark (UMKC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Neil O'Connor (UMKC) def. Asmar, Enrique (NMSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Buitrago, Nicolas (NMSU) def. Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-2, 6-2
– UMKC –