BLOOMINGTON, Ill. -- The UMKC men's tennis team (0-3) was defeated by Northern Illinois, 4-1, on Sunday afternoon.
Attempting to comeback after falling in doubles play, UMKC dropped three of its four sets in singles play to Nebraska to fall to 0-3 on the season.
With Tom Kruse and Daniel Izadifar clinching the second match in doubles play, the Roos looked to take the doubles point in the third match with Diego Giraldo and Ben Stride at the helm. Both UMKC players would drop the third and final match in doubles play at a score of 6-4.
Moving on to singles play, Stride would clinch his singles match in the No. 3 spot to keep the Roos alive down the stretch. However, UMKC would fall in the next set and surrender its second loss of the weekend in Lincoln, Neb.
In 2018, the Roos started out 0-3 as well before pulling out their first victory in the fourth match of the season.
"Another close and tough loss today," stated assistant coach David Heckler. "We had break opportunities that we didn't convert on that cost us the doubles point. All in all, we competed really well this weekend, especially in the top half of our lineup."
Up Next: The Blue & Gold will head down to Tulsa, Okla., to take on Oral Roberts on Saturday, Feb. 9th at 4 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Marbach/Ortega (NI) def. Stride/Giraldo (UMKC), 6-4
2. Spolidorio/Malinen (NI) def. Clark/Patel (UMKC), 6-2
3. Kruse/Izadifar (UMKC) def. Pata/Yu Yu (NI), 6-4
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 3, 5
1. Marbach (NI) vs. Kruse (UMKC (DNF)
2. Ortega (NI) vs Giraldo (UMKC) (DNF)
3. Stride (UMKC) def. Pata (NI) 6-3, 7-6
4. Muzar (NI) def. Clark (UMKC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Malinen (NI) def. Patel (UMKC) 6-3, 0-6, 6-1
6. Spolidorio (NI) def. Izadifar, 6-3, 6-1
– UMKC –