KANSAS CITY, Mo. – (SCHEDULE) The UMKC softball team has released the 2019 season schedule and 57 games are on the docket. The campaign features 11 home games that will be played at the Urban Youth Academy, the second-year home of the Roos. In addition, the program competes in six tournaments away from Kansas City and takes on local powers the University of Missouri and the University of Kansas.
“We are extremely excited to start the season with this group of women,” said UMKC head coach Meredith Smith, who is entering her 13th season in 2019. “If we are able to perform on the field as well as we have prepared this fall, we will be a surprise to many people. This group of student athletes has the potential to break records this season. They are talented, intelligent and hardworking and hopefully this will pay off for us on the field.”
The Roos will battle three opponents who advanced to the regionals of the 2018 Women’s College World Series: DePaul, Missouri and New Mexico State. All three of those games will be on the road.
The 32nd year of Roo softball will begin Feb. 8 at the Total Control Sports Invitational in Rosemont, Ill., and hosted by Loyola University Chicago. After that event, UMKC will participate in five more tournaments covering four states. The Roos travel to Georgia, Alabama, Kansas and Nebraska, with a tournament sandwiched in between at Edwardsville, Ill.
UMKC will face I-70 opponents Kansas on Mar. 10 and Missouri on May 1. Both competitions are on the road.
The home opener on Mar. 22 comes against Western Athletic Conference (WAC) competition with a three-game home set with Seattle U. That contest also serves as the WAC lid-lifter. Fans will have to wait until Apr. 2 when Omaha visits the Urban Youth Academy for a single game at 5 p.m. CST. That begins a four-game home stand, with California Baptist coming to KC from Apr. 5-6.
The Roos other home games feature Missouri Valley Conference opponent Missouri State on Apr. 23 and Grand Canyon from May 3-4.
The Roos are scheduled to play an 18-game WAC schedule, culminating in the WAC tournament from May 8-11 in Phoenix, Ariz., and hosted by Grand Canyon University. The WAC event is a six-team, double-elimination format over a four-day period. The tournament champion advances to the NCAA regionals.
The 2019 NCAA Division I Softball Championship bracket will be announced Sunday, May 12. The 2019 NCAA regionals are scheduled for May 19 – 21 on 16 campus sites. At each campus site, a four-team, double-elimination tournament will be conducted and the 16 winning teams advance to the Super Regionals.
UMKC is coming off a 15-41 record a season ago and returns three starters.
- The 2019 season marks the 32nd campaign in UMKC history. The first year of intercollegiate varsity softball was 1988, under the direction of head coach George Caley. The Roos finished 1988 with an 18-28 record.
- The Roos are members of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC). The 2014 season was the first as members of the WAC. The all-time softball record against WAC opponents is 31-43 (.419).
- The Urban Youth Academy, located at the 18th and Vine Jazz District, is a state-of-the art facility with indoor batting cages, pitching mounds. The Roos are 3-12 all-time at that venue. Fans can gain entry to all 11 of UMKC’s home games free of charge.
- There will be 29 games on the road before the Mar. 22 home-opener against Seattle U.
- The 2019 season has 57 games, which includes 39 non-conference contests and 18 played in the WAC.
- Head coach Meredith Smith enters her 13th year with an overall career record of 238-379 (.386).