KANSAS CITY, Mo. – UMKC softball head coach Meredith Smith Neal announced two winter camp dates. The first session will be on Dec. 3 and will be an elite players camp open to any and all entrants for players in eighth grade or older. The second camp is scheduled for Jan. 14 and is a skills camp for ages eight and older.
Both sessions cost $125 will take place at Swinney Recreation Center on the UMKC campus and will run from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. For players interested in participating in both sessions, cost will be $200.
How to design your own experience:
Decide what position(s) you want to concentrate on. There will be three groups: (1) Infielders, (2) Outfielders and Defensive Catchers and (3) Live Catchers and Pitchers.
- Catchers in this group will focus only on the defensive aspects of catching: throwing, blocking, fielding bunts, field management, and receiving.
- Catchers in this group will catch live. There will be instruction on catching but not as much interactive time.
- Pitchers must provide their own catcher; they do not have to pay if only participating to catch.
The first session of the camp will offer an immense amount of instruction in one position. If you decide to attend the second session of camp, you may choose another position or we will work on refining your skills at the position.
- All positions will also feature a hitting segment.
• Pitchers and catchers can attend the first session in the live instruction session then on the second session pitchers can choose a different position while catchers can work in the defensive segment.
• If you play multiple infield positions; choose one each session. We will work with infielders together but also emphasize the differences between middle and corner infielders.
• If you choose to do the same position both sessions, great- the second session will be more intense and focus on refining your skills.
A note to pitchers:
We would like to use these mini-camps to evaluate and give constructive instruction on how to get better over a period of time. We will not be able to teach a pitcher how to throw new pitches, but rather give all ages and skill levels drills and instructions that will help further their progress as a pitcher.
What you can receive at a camp designed for you:
• Instruction and drills designed for your area of play based on your talent level.
• An evaluation and tips to help you improve your play.
• Agility, conditioning, and nutrition information.
• Mental training suggestions.
• Q&A with current UMKC players and coaches
• Incredible recruiting opportunity for athletes interested in attending UMKC.
Don't just be another number in a big college camp.
Fill out your application online: Pay day of camp. Cash, credit, or check accepted. Walk-ups are accepted.
Make sure to provide us with comments on what you are looking for. The earlier the application is turned in, the better we can plan on how to best help you.
What to wear: T-Shirts, softball pants, turf or tennis shoes
What to bring: Softball equipment; everything you would bring to a game. There will be an hour lunch break. It is suggested that you bring your lunch, but there are options close to campus.
Water coolers will be provided along with cups, in order to keep our costs down. You may bring your own water bottle. Concessions will not be available.
Questions? Email Katie Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org.