The Official Site of UMKC Kangaroo Athletics
UMKC Stands Firm in Scoreless Draw With Rutgers
UMKC Athletics 9-3-2017
Related Links

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The UMKC men’s soccer team (2-0-1) battled to a double overtime scoreless draw against Big Ten opponent Rutgers (1-2-1) on Sunday afternoon at Durwood Soccer Stadium. The Roos have shutout their first three opponents, making it the first time since the 2010 campaign that UMKC has recorded three-consecutive blank sheets.

“Filippo was very good in the net for us today, especially saving the penalty shot,” head coach Rick Benben shared. “His overall play was excellent. Rutgers is a good team, with great players all over the field, and I think we matched them and played tough for the entire game. I am extremely pleased with everyone for the level we are playing at just three games into the season.”

The first shot of the match came at the three-minute mark, as UMKC’s Alvaro Hernando (Bilbao, Spain) sent the ball just high of the goal. Less than a minute later, Henry Ramirez (Costa Mesa, Calif.) followed in his teammate’s footsteps, firing a shot wide of the post.

UMKC controlled most of the possession in the first half, making it hard for Rutgers to get a good look. Roos goalkeeper Filippo Errico (Verona, Italy) stood tall in the net, collecting two first-half saves to keep the game scoreless going into halftime.

The Scarlet Knights had an offensive surge in the second half, as the team took nine shots to UMKC’s six. In the 83rd minute of the match, the Roos were called for a foul in the box, setting up a penalty kick for Rutgers. Ethan Decker stepped up to the line and took the shot, but Errico made a leaping save to keep the Scarlet Knights off the board. Another monstrous save by Errico in the closing minutes of regulation would send the match into overtime.

Rutgers’ Bryce Washington fired back-to-back bullets, but couldn’t get it through the UMKC defense. Ramirez and senior Eric McWoods (St. Louis, Mo.) each fired a shot, before Rutgers was called for a foul in its own box to set up a penalty kick for the Roos. McWoods stepped up to the line, but was unable to convert, sending the match to a second overtime.

Each team tallied a pair of shots in the closing ten minute period, including one by McWoods with time expiring. The game resulted in UMKC’s first scoreless draw of the season. Errico finished the day with a season-high seven saves in the net, while McWoods led the team with six shots. Additionally, eight different Roos tallied at least one shot on the day, contributing to UMKC’s team total of 15.

The Roos will close their home stand on Friday, Sept. 8 at 7:30 p.m. CT when Memphis visits Durwood Soccer Stadium. UMKC will play its first midweek matchup at Milwaukee on Sept. 12.

For more information on UMKC men’s soccer, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

– UMKC –

To remove your e-mail address from our mailing list, please click on Customer Care and select Remove From Mailing List from the Area of Interest list and specify your e-mail address. Note: This does not apply to opt-in e-mail. To modify your opt-in e-mail deliveries, log in to the site and modify your preferences. Customer Care