CHICAGO, Ill. – The UMKC women’s basketball team (4-6) notched its fourth win of the season in a decisive 88-74 victory against Loyola-Chicago on Sunday afternoon.
Junior guard Ericka Mattingly (Wichita, Kan.) took charge again for the Roos as she posted a stat line of 23 points, four assists and six steals in the matchup with the Ramblers. With her performance at Gentile Arena, Mattingly has now scored 20 points or more in seven of UMKC’s 10 games this year.
As Loyola-Chicago attempted to trim away the lead late in the fourth quarter, UMKC would nail seven free throws to secure the win in the last minute of play.
The team trailed for the first few minutes of the game, but UMKC never looked back after taking the lead on a Kristen Moore (Chicago, Ill.) three.
Facing an opponent which has given up an average of 59.2 points per game in non-conference play, UMKC came out firing on all cylinders, as the team nailed 10 of 21 three-pointer attempts (47.6%) on the afternoon in Chicago, Ill.
Leading by 12 coming out of halftime, UMKC maintained their lead with a couple of lay-ups from freshman guard Brooke Hampel, making the score 60-46 with under five minutes left in the third period.
In the opening period of Sunday’s showdown at Gentile Arena, Mattingly and sophomore guard Taylor Larson combined for 16 points and a perfect 4 for 4 on three point field goals to help UMKC take an early 24-20 lead.
With the win against the Ramblers, the Roos have now won four of their last five games dating back to Peru State on Nov. 29th.
“Our kids have been shooting with a lot of confidence and that is a result of the work they’ve put in during practice. Our defense also forced a lot of turnovers in the first half of play, which gave us some easy looks at the basket.”
• The Blue & Gold return home for the Roo Holiday Classic on Dec. 20-21st to face off against SIUE (12/20) at 4 p.m. CT and Louisiana Tech (12/21) at 5:30 p.m. CT.
• With four rebounds in win versus Loyola-Chicago, senior Kristen Moore now has to grab four rebounds to accomplish 500 rebounds as a Roo in her career
• In the win on Sunday afternoon, Mattingly has now scored 20 points or more in seven of the 10 games this season
• The Roos shot 31 of 65 (47.7%) from the court in Sunday’s win
• Freshman forward Leilah Vigil (Montbello, Colo.) recorded her fourth double-double (10 points and 12 rebounds) on the season at Chicago, Ill.
• Freshman Emily Ivory keeps draining from long range, as she made two threes in the win at Loyola-Chicago
• UMKC has scored 80 or more points in four games this season
• Ivory now has made 21 three-point field goals on the season
• Junior guard Awal Ajak had a career best five assists in the win against the Ramblers on Sunday afternoon
– UMKC –