CHICAGO, Ill. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (8-11) persevered in singles play for a third straight day to knock off Chicago State, 4-3, on Sunday morning.
Losing the doubles point for the third straight day heading into singles play, the Roos would challenge the Cougars for six straight match-ups and come away with four out of five victories to claim their third WAC victory of the season.
Katie Fries improved to 10-8 on the year with a victory in the No. 2 hole with set scores of 6-3, 6-4. Yana Grechkina and Thanushree Vale both clinched wins in the No. 3 and 6 spots with scores of 6-3, 6-4 as well.
Vale has now improved to .500 in singles play after today’s victory (7-7).
Falling flat in the first two conference matches of the 2019 season, UMKC has now pulled off three straight victories and sits with a 3-2 record in WAC play. Overall, the Roos have now won four straight dating back to Mar. 31st against Drake.
Up Next: The Roos will take a few days off before heading to Ames, Iowa to face off with Iowa State on Friday, Apr. 12th at 5:30 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 1, 5, 2, 4
1. Goncharova,Anastasii (CSU) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Katie Fries (UMKC) def. Drazic, Katarina (CSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) def. Pukhaeva, Kristina (CSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Borodina, Diana (CSU) def. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) 7-6, 6-4
5. Grace Ball (UMKC) def. Shepherd, Iesha (CSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) def. Morgoshia, Lizi (CSU) 6-4, 6-3
– UMKC –