CHICAGO, Ill. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (6-11) clinched its first conference win of the season with a strong showing in singles play to defeat UTRGV, 5-2, on Friday afternoon.
Looking to get back to their winning ways in WAC play, the Roos outlasted a strong start from the Vaqueros in doubles play with four straight victories to end the match during singles competition.
After Michela Xibilia fell in the No. 1 spot for UMKC, the No. 2, 4, 5 and 6 spots delivered quality performances to complete the comeback against UTRGV for the Roos.
Falling in the first set 3-6 in the No. 4 spot, Riddhi Sharma completed a come-from behind victory in her second and third sets with scores of 6-3, 6-4.
Thanushree Vale also fought through adversity in the No. 6 spot as the Chennai, India native finished her match-up with set scores of 6-3, 6-2.
Katie Fries has now bumped her singles record up to .500 on the year with her victory in the No. 2 hole (8-8).
Up Next: The Roos will remain in the windy city for their second match-up of the weekend when the team faces off with Seattle U on April 6th at 8 a.m. CT
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5, 2, 6, 4
1. Ibarra, Dominique (UTRGV) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Katie Fries (UMKC) def. Darzyan, Marine (UTRGV) 7-5, 6-2
3. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) def. Walker, Michelle (UTRGV) 6-0, 6-1
4. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) def. Aleksovska, Doris (UTRGV) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Grace Ball (UMKC) def. Waduge, Nethmi (UTRGV) 6-1, 6-4
6. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) def. Putz, Sandra (UTRGV) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
– UMKC –