KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (4-11) fell flat in a border war showdown to Wichita State, 4-0, on Saturday afternoon.
It was a tough outing for a Roos team looking to stay unbeaten at home in 2019 as both the doubles and singles competitions ended in swift defeats at the Woodside Tennis Center.
Michela Xibilia nearly stormed back in the No. 1 spot during singles play to potentially give the Roos their first point on the afternoon but would be defeated in the third set of her match-up with a score of 3-6.
After Xibilia lost in the last set, the Shockers would clinch the match and their 10th win of the season.
Yana Grechkina had a chance to improve her singles play record to .500 on the year but fell short in the No. 3 spot to a score of 3-6, 3-6.
The Roos are now 3-1 at home on the year.
Up Next: The Roos continue their home stand and will next face off with Drake on Sunday, Mar. 31st at 12 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 1, 3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6
1. Fatima Bizhukova (WSU) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 6-0, 1-6, 6-3
2. Sandra Honigova (WSU) def. Katie Fries (UMKC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Ting-Ya Hsu (WSU) def. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) vs. Marta Bellucco (WSU) 5-7, 6-4, 0-1, unfinished
5. Grace Ball (UMKC) vs. Alexandra Lazarova (WSU) 3-2, unfinished
6. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) vs. Lingwei Kong (WSU) 1-1, unfinished
– UMKC –