LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (6-10) used three victories in singles play to come back and take down UTRGV, 4-3, on Saturday afternoon.
Heading into singles play down 1-0 after losing the doubles point in close sets, the Roos would chip away at the Vaqueros lead before coming away with the victory in the last singles match-up of the day.
Claiming the first point of the match after a victory in the No. 1 spot by Diego Giraldo, UMKC would fall in two of the three match-ups following Giraldo’s win.
Coming down to the end of the match, the Roos relied on Hunter Clark and Ben Stride to seal the door on the Vaqueros as both players won in the third set of their match-ups.
Down 4-2 in the third set in the No. 2 spot, Stride rallied back to win the match for UMKC with a 7-2 tiebreaker.
The victory helps Stride improve to 12-3 on the year, which is one win better than his duos counterpart Giraldo, who sits with a 11-5 mark.
Up Next: The Roos will wrap up their trip in Las Cruces, N.M., with a match against New Mexico State on Sunday, Mar. 31st at 1 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
2. Hutchings, George/Kaufman, Yehonatan (UTRGV) def. Hunter Clark/Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 6, 4, 2
1. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) def. de Felipe Garcia, S. (UTRGV) 6-3, 6-1
2. Ben Stride (UMKC) def. Kaufman, Yehonatan (UTRGV) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Tom Kruse (UMKC) def. Hutchings, George (UTRGV) 6-2, 6-4
4. Hunter Clark (UMKC) def. Sarradin, Clement (UTRGV) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
5. Williams, Te Kani (UTRGV) def. Neil O'Connor (UMKC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Kohrs, Zane (UTRGV) def. Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-3, 6-4
– UMKC –