LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (5-10) competed in its first conference match of the season but were outlasted by Grand Canyon on Friday afternoon to a score of 6-1.
Looking to get back on the winning track after Tuesday’s loss to the Bluejays at the Plaza Tennis Center, the Roos could not connect on any cylinders throughout doubles and singles play against the Lopes.
Diego Giraldo would help UMKC pick up a victory in the No. 1 spot during singles play with a score of 7-6 (8-6), 6-2. Giraldo’s effort would not help UMKC stay in the match as the Lopes came away with the doubles point before taking four straight matches in singles play to down the Roos on Friday.
Ben Stride and Giraldo would win their set in the No. 1 spot in doubles play after both the No. 2 and 3 spots were defeated early on. Stride nearly pulled off a comeback in the No. 3 hole in singles play but fell in the third set to a 7-3 tiebreaker.
Last season, the Roos began conference play with a 5-0 record and fell in the last match of the season to New Mexico State, 4-0. UMKC will take on the Aggies this Sunday before heading back home to campus.
Up Next: The Roos remain on the road and take on UTRGV in Las Cruces, N.M., on Saturday, March 30th at 1 p.m. CT.
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
2. Lang, Valentin/Novak, Jakub (GCU) def. Anil Patel/Hunter Clark (UMKC) 6-4
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 2, 5, 1, 3
1. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) def. Fucile, Lorenzo (GCU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
2. Rajaonah, Mathieu (GCU) def. Tom Kruse (UMKC) 6-0, 6-4
3. Lang, Valentin (GCU) def. Ben Stride (UMKC) 6-4, 6-7 (6-8), 1-0 (7-3)
4. Grego, Lucas (GCU) def. Neil O'Connor (UMKC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Grant, Freddie (GCU) def. Hunter Clark (UMKC) 6-1, 7-5
6. Novak, Jakub (GCU) def. Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-1, 6-3
– UMKC –