KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (5-9) would battle with Creighton until the end of the match but could not pull out the victory on Tuesday afternoon and fell to a score of 4-3.
The Roos got off to a slow start to the match by losing the doubles point early on. Ben Stride and Diego Giraldo continued their streaky play in doubles competition with a 6-4 victory in the No. 1 spot. UMKC would end up falling in the No. 2 and 3 holes however and would head into singles play with a 1-0 deficit.
UMKC would fight its way back into the match with three victories in singles play. Tom Kruse would play into an extra set to settle the score for the Roos but would falter to Creighton’s No. 1 opponent with a score of 3-6, 6-2, 4-6.
The Roos head into their first conference match ups of the season this weekend against New Mexico State and Grand Canyon.
Up Next: The Roos will hit the road and head to Las Cruces, N.M., to take on Grand Canyon on Friday, March 29th at 9 a.m. CT.
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
3. Stratton Brown/Joe Hoff (CU) def. Hunter Clark/Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3
1. Nick Campbell (CU) def. Tom Kruse (UMKC) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) def. Stratton Brown (CU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
3. Ben Stride (UMKC) def. Armando Gandini (CU) 6-1, 5-7, 7-6
4. Jose Oscar Diaz (CU) def. Neil O'Connor (UMKC) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Mac Mease (CU) def. Hunter Clark (UMKC) 6-4, 6-0
6. Anil Patel (UMKC) def. Daniel Lopez-Rey (CU) 6-2, 6-4
– UMKC –