PHOENIX, Ariz. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (3-9) could not pull off a comeback during singles play against the Aggies and fell to a score of 5-2 in the first conference match of the season.
Looking to take an early lead in the WAC standings on Friday afternoon, the Roos would falter quickly in doubles play as both the No. 1 and 2 spots failed to regain any ground from slow starts and gave New Mexico State a 1-0 lead heading into the singles competition.
Riddhi Sharma would get UMKC off to a good start however as the Aggies opponent retired midway through the match, giving UMKC its first point of the day.
After Sharma's victory, the Aggies would win the next three match-ups and erase any hopes of a comeback in Phoenix, Ariz., for the Roos.
As the Roos were finishing up Friday’s match, Katie Fries won both of her sets with scores of 6-3, 6-4 and clinched UMKC’s final point of the day in the 5-2 defeat.
“It was a rough transition to outdoor desert heat,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “We made a lot of unforced errors which is uncharacteristic of our team. Hopefully we can bounce back tomorrow.”
Up Next: UMKC remains down in Phoenix, Ariz., where the team will next face off with Grand Canyon on Saturday, Mar. 23rd at 12 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 1, 3, 5, 2
1. Keijzerwaard,Rebecca (NMSU) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Katie Fries (UMKC) def. Harlas, Lindsay (NMSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Challa, Harsha (NMSU) def. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) def. Torregrosa, Neus (NMSU) 4-4, retired
5. Rubio, Yadira (NMSU) def. Grace Ball (UMKC) 6-0, 7-6
6. Kalaga, Gavi (NMSU) def. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 6-0, 6-1
– UMKC –