MARYVILLE, Mo. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (5-8) held on Wednesday afternoon to take down Northwest Missouri State, 4-3, in Maryville, Mo.
After falling back-to-back against Oklahoma State and Wichita State, the Roos bounced back to knock off the Bearcats in tight match.
Ben Stride and Diego Giraldo continued their dominance in doubles play as the pair took down the Bearcats opponents in the No. 1 spot, 6-3. Daniel Izadifar and Tom Kruse would clinch the doubles point in the No. 3 spot with a 6-4 set victory.
Northwest Missouri State would fight back in singles play with three victories in the No. 1, 5 and 6 spots. Hunter Clark would fight through adversity in the No. 5 spot for UMKC as he would come back to win the second and third set in his singles match-up 6-3, 6-3 to help the Roos notch their fifth victory of the season.
Stride and Giraldo are now 8-4 when paired with each other in doubles play this season. In singles play, Stride has now improved to 10-2 on the year
Up Next: UMKC heads back home for a match-up with Creighton on Tuesday, March 26th at 1:00 p.m. CT.
Order of Finish: 1, 3
2. Oliva, Franco/Calloud, Fabien (NWMSU-M) def. Hunter Clark/Anil Patel (UMKC) 7-6
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 5
1. #4 Oliva, Franco (NWMSU-M) def. Tom Kruse (UMKC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) def. #46 Calloud, Fabien (NWMSU-M) 6-4, 6-0
3. Ben Stride (UMKC) def. Velasco, Agustin (NWMSU-M) 6-2, 6-4
4. Manoah, Rahul (NWMSU-M) 6-4, 7-6 (14-12) def. Neil O'Connor (UMKC)
5. Hunter Clark (UMKC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 def. Compas, Louis (NWMSU-M)
6. Kurtze, Bjorn (NWMSU-M) def. Anil Patel (UMKC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
– UMKC –