STILLWATER, Okla. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (4-7) could not continue its winning streak as the squad was outlasted by Oklahoma State, 4-0, on Friday afternoon.
Facing off with a top 25 team in the country, the Roos would fall off course in doubles play and could not regain any groundwork during the singles match-ups at the Greenwood Tennis Center.
Going up against the #22 duo in the country, Ben Stride and Diego Giraldo would bring the score to 6-6 in the No. 1 spot for doubles play. However, the No. 2 and 3 spots would fall early on, forcing the No. 1 match-up to be unfinished.
The Roos would go on to lose in singles play in three swift sets and leave Stillwater, Okla., with a 4-0 loss.
“The guys fought hard today against a top 25 team,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “There were a ton of deuce games today and we were one or two points away from a lot of those sets going our way. Diego (Giraldo) took a set on court two and Ben (Stride) and Hunter (Clark) lost in close tiebreakers in the first sets on three and five. I would have really liked to see how the rest of our matches would have finished.”
Up Next: UMKC will to Wichita, Kan., to face off with Wichita State on Sunday, March 17th at 4:30 p.m. CT.
Order of Finish: 3, 2
2. Luke Hammond/Emile Hudd (OSU) def. Hunter Clark/Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 2, 5
1. Matej Vocel (OSU) def. Tom Kruse (UMKC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Maxim Tybar (OSU) vs. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) 5-7, 2-2, unfinished
3. Mathieu Scaglia (OSU) vs. Ben Stride (UMKC) 7-6 (9-7), 0-2, unfinished
4. Emile Hudd (OSU) def. Neil O'Connor (UMKC) 6-2, 6-3
5. Brady Draheim (OSU) vs. Hunter Clark (UMKC) 7-6 (7-4), unfinished
6. Luke Hammond (OSU) def. Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-1, 6-2
– UMKC –