COLUMBIA, Mo. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (3-8) could not overcome its third power five conference match of the year against Missouri, 4-0, on Sunday afternoon.
Continuing their road trip against power five conference opponents, the Roos struggled to get anything going on Sunday at the Mizzou Tennis Complex.
Starting out in doubles play, UMKC would fall in swift sets in the No. 1 and 3 spots, turning the match into a 1-0 deficit heading into singles play.
Each singles match-up for UMKC would get out to an early lead but could not finish out the match against each Tigers opponent.
Katie Fries would take the first set in her match-up at the No. 2 spot but would not get the chance to finish as the match became finalized during the second set.
Conference play is around the corner however as the Roos will take on New Mexico State and Grand Canyon in two weeks.
“We were up early in all four of the singles but Missouri fought hard and we could not answer back,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “Katie (Fries) had a great match at the No. 2 spot, taking the first set and battling when the match was clinched.”
Up Next: UMKC will head down to Phoenix, Ariz., to battle with New Mexico State on Friday, Mar. 22nd at 4 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 3, 1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4
1. Macken Middlebrooks (MIZ) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 7-5, 6-0
2. Serena Nash (MIZ) vs. Katie Fries (UMKC) 3-6, 5-4, unfinished
3. Lisa Fukutoku (MIZ) def. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) 6-2, retired
4. Taylor Gruber (MIZ) def. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) 7-5, 6-3
5. Vivien Abraham (MIZ) vs. Grace Ball (UMKC) 5-2, unfinished
6. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) vs. Marta Oliveira (MIZ) no result
– UMKC –