KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (3-6) came up short in a tightly contested match against Omaha, 4-3, on Friday night at the Woodside Tennis Center.
Losing the doubles point early on, UMKC would fight its way back from a 1-0 deficit. Ben Stride and Diego Giraldo both had productive outings for the Roos as the pair won their match-up in doubles play and then would go on to produce two of UMKC’s points in the match.
Sitting one point behind, Anil Patel would close the gap for UMKC with a decisive victory in the No. 6 spot. With one match-up to go, the Roos would fall in the last few sets of play and would surrender its sixth loss to Omaha.
“Guys fought hard but came up short tonight,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “The match came down to points and I want to give credit to UNO for a great match. It was another great group of fans today with their support. We are going to turn the corner soon, I feel it.”
Up Next: UMKC will remain at home and face off with UMSL on Saturday, March 9th at 3 p.m. CT.
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
2. Abdoul Ouattara/Matt Dunn (OMAHA) def. Hunter Clark/Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-4
Order of Finish:
1. Abdoul Ouattara (OMAHA) def. Tom Kruse (UMKC) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) def. Nathan Reekie (OMAHA) 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
3. Ben Stride (UMKC) def. Davis Lawley (OMAHA) 6-3, 6-5
4. Hugo Piles Ballester (OMAHA) def. Neil O'Connor (UMKC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Matt Dunn (OMAHA) def. Hunter Clark (UMKC) 7-6, 7-6
6. Anil Patel (UMKC) def. Ethan Henry (OMAHA) 6-2, 7-6
– UMKC –