OREM, Utah – The UMKC men’s basketball team (10-18, 5-8) fell on Saturday night in a Western Athletic Conference battle 79-67 to Utah Valley (19-8, 8-5) at UCCU Center.
UVU, though, followed with a 14-2 rally to go take a 10-point lead with just over nine minutes remaining.
UMKC would close the gap to as little as six down the stretch when Brandon Suggs connected on a rebound putback, but could get no closer as Utah Valley came away with the victory.
“We did a good job for the most part of stopping Utah Valley’s initial shot attempts but we allowed too many offensive rebounds which lead to 22 second chance points,” Head Coach Kareem Richardson said. “We are going to work hard this week on getting that cleaned up.”
Bishop led the Roos in the defeat, as the junior finished with team-high’s of 19 points and six assists, while adding four rebounds and a steal. Danny Dixon, meanwhile, tallied 16 points and two rebounds, while Brandon McKissic was the final Roo in double figures, scoring 13 points with four assists and three steals.
In the opening half, the Roos controlled the game early, going ahead by as many as six twice, both on threes by Dixon.
The Roos held the lead until the 5:20 mark when the Wolverines went back in front at 27-26, before taking a 39-33 lead into the break.
As a team, the Roos shot 43.3 percent (26-60) from the field and 34.8 percent from long range (8-23).
· UMKC returns to action on Thursday when they welcome in New Mexico State to the Swinney Center on Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. CT.
· UMKC forced 15 Wolverine turnovers, leading to 10 points.
· UMKC scored 32 points in the paint and 20 off the bench.
· UVU outrebounded the Roos 45 to 27.
· The Roos had 11 steals, while UVU notched just three.
· UMKC notched 15 assists on their 26 field goals.
· The game featured three ties and eight lead changes.
· UMKC led for a total of 12:53.
– UMKC –