KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (3-5) started off the 2019 home stand strong with a victory over Missouri State, 4-0, at the Woodside Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
Kicking off the 2019 home opener with an in-state rival opponent, the Roos came out firing on all cylinders to notch a sweep over the Bears.
Moving into singles play, UMKC would close out the match early with wins from Xibilia, Grechkina and Riddhi Sharma. Xibilia would drop her first set before storming back to win her position and the match point for the Roos.
“So proud of the girls and the way they stepped up big when it counted,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “Can’t say enough about the fan support. From the faculty, students and student athletes present. They made a huge difference in the energy and our girls used it to get the victory!”
Up Next: The Blue & Gold will head to Manhattan, Kan., to face off with Kansas State on Saturday, Feb. 23rd at 5 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1
- Michela Xibilia (UMKC) def. Anna Alons (MSU) 4-6, 7-6, 7-5
- Katie Fries (UMKC) vs. Anna Alons (MSU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-5, unfinished
- Yana Grechkina (UMKC) def. Fati Khamissi (MSU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
- Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) def. Phoebe Boeschen (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
- Grace Ball (UMKC) vs. Clara Gand-Gonzalez (MSU) 5-5, unfinished
- Thanushree Vale (UMKC) vs. Ellie Burger (MSU) 4-5, unfinished