FAYETTVILLE, Ark. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (2-5) fell to Arkansas on Saturday evening, 6-1, closing out its third match of the week.
Letting both matches in Iowa slip away on Thursday and Friday, the Roos looked to avoid three losses in as many days against the Razorbacks.
It was a clean sweep in doubles play as the Roos would fall in the No. 1 and 2 spots, giving the doubles point to Arkansas heading into the singles play.
After giving up three straight points in singles play, Anil Patel would pull together a quality performance in the No. 6 spot to give the Roos their only point of the day, coming at score of 6-4 and 6-4.
UMKC would eventually spin off in the last two spots to relinquish the victory to Arkansas.
Tom Kruse faced off against another ranked opponent once again in the No. 1 spot, going up against #97 Oscar Mesquida. Mesquida would prove to be too much for Kruse as Mesquida would win both sets at 6-4 and 6-0.
Up Next: UMKC will take a two week break before facing off with Lindenwood in the team’s first home match of the year on Friday, Mar. 1st at 2 p.m. CT
Order of Finish: 1, 2
2. Maxim Verboven/Enrique Paya (AR) def. Hunter Clark/Neil O'Connor (UMKC) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 6, 5, 2
1. #97 Oscar Mesquida (AR) def. Tom Kruse (UMKC) 6-4, 6-0
2. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) 7-6 (7-4), 1-6, 10-7
3. Maxim Verboven (AR) def. Ben Stride (UMKC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Pedro Alonso (AR) def. Neil O'Connor (UMKC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Enrique Paya (AR) def. Hunter Clark (UMKC) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Anil Patel (UMKC) def. Josh Bortnick (AR) 6-4, 6-4
– UMKC –