LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (2-5) fell to Arkansas State (3-2) on Saturday evening, 4-0, at Burns Park.
Looking to come away with a victory in Arkansas this weekend, the Roos fell short against the Redwolves on Saturday.
Yana Grechkina and Michela Xibilia would keep UMKC alive for the doubles point after winning the set in the No. 1 spot at 6-4. But the Roos would falter in the last set of doubles play which allowed Arkansas State to gain a 1-0 advantage heading into singles play.
After losing in the No. 1 and No. 3 spots for the singles competitions, UMKC leaned on Riddhi Sharma to keep the match alive in the No. 4 spot as the Delhi, India native played into extra break sets.
Sharma would come up short however, losing 7-6 (4-0) and 7-6 (2-0). Arkansas State would notch its third victory of the season after sweeping the first three courts in singles play.
Up Next: The Blue & Gold will return back to campus for its first home match of the year against Missouri State on Friday, Feb. 22nd.
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4
1. Pornpawee Pramethong (ASU) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Shelby King (ASU) vs. Katie Fries (UMKC) 4-6, 7-6, 1-1, unfinished
3. Anita Detlava (ASU) def. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) 6-1, 6-4
4. B. Masdevall Masip (ASU) def. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) 7-6 (4-0), 7-6 (2-0)
5. Shannon O'Brien (ASU) vs. Grace Ball (UMKC) 5-4, unfinished
6. Amelia Guevremont (ASU) vs. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 5-4, unfinished
- UMKC -