CONWAY, Ark. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (2-4) fell to Central Arkansas (4-4) on Friday morning in their first match of the weekend.
While the pair of Michela Xibilia and Yana Grechkina secured a win in the No. 1 spot with a score of 6-4, the Roos struggled to get much going in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. In the end, UMKC would go on to lose the doubles point for the match.
The Roos also struggled in singles play in Little Rock, dropping all five matches to Central Arkansas. An early deficit made a UMKC comeback difficult, and in the end the Roos could not make up the ground needed in singles play to secure a win, falling 6-1 on the day.
After a tough start to the season, the Roos will look to bounce back from a 2-4 record in the first six matches of 2019.
Head coach Kendell Hale, however, was encouraged by what he saw from his today. “We are still trying to find ourselves as a team,” Hale stated. “We are seeing glimpses of who we want to be, but we are not doing it consistently.”
Up Next: UMKC is back in action Saturday against the Arkansas State Red Wolves (2-1) in Little Rock, Ark.
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 1, 2, 4, 5
1. Fuka Nonoyama (UCA) def. Michela Xibilia (UMKC) 6-1, 7-6
2. Mei Ishimura (UCA) def. Katie Fries (UMKC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Marli Van Heerden (UCA) def. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Yada Vasupongcha (UCA) def. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) 7-5, 6-3
5. Rada Manataweewat (UCA) def. Grace Ball (UMKC) 5-7, 7-6, (10-6)
- UMKC -