CEDAR FALLS, Iowa. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (2-3) defeated Coe College, 7-0, on Thursday night for its second win of the season.
After dropping its first three matches of the year, UMKC has now pulled off back-to-back victories to creep closer to .500 in 2019.
It was an overall dominating performance from the Roos as the team played seven individuals for the first time all season. All seven players would win all but one set on the evening against Coe College.
The Roos would take two of three sets in doubles play to record the first point in the match. Ben Stride and Tom Kruse would both win their singles competitions with scores of 6-4 and 6-2. Anil Patel would seal the win for the Roos in the No. 6 spot with a score of 7-5, 6-1.
Both of the Roos wins have now occurred in sweeps this season.
“We had a solid performance today,” stated assistant coach David Heckler. “Our whole squad competed hard on every court from top to bottom and we got the result to show for it. In doubles, Tom (Kruse) and Daniel (Izadifar) got us out to the early lead while Ben (Stride) and Diego (Giraldo) fought back from a break down to clinch the doubles point.”
Heckler would go on to elaborate on the Roos singles performances in the win.
“In singles, Neil (O’Connor) at the No. 4 spot had another great showing for his second match,” said Heckler. “Tom at the No. 1 spot played a very composed match and patiently picked his opponent apart. We are feeling good going into our match tomorrow with Iowa.”
Up Next: UMKC will stay in up north to face off with Iowa on Friday, Feb. 15th at 12 p.m. CT.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
- Stride/Giraldo (UMKC) def. Pudlo/Greiner (COE) 6-4
- Hermaiden/Ackert (COE) def. Clark/Patel (UMKC) 7-5
- Kruse/Izadifar (UMKC) def. Wilson/Lansing (COE) 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4
1. Tom Kruse (UMKC) def. Josh Pudlo (COE) 6-4, 6-2
2. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) def. Nate Greiner (COE) 6-7, 6-4, 6-1
3. Ben Stride (UMKC) def. Rami Hermaidan (COE) 6-4, 6-2
4. Neil O’Connor (UMKC) def. Nate Ackert (COE) 6-2, 6-3
5. Hunter Clark (UMKC) def. Bo Wilson (COE) 6-3, 6-2
6. Anil Patel (UMKC) def. Nathan Meskell (COE) 7-5, 6-1
– UMKC –