OMAHA, Neb. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (2-2) defeated Omaha on Saturday, winning at a score of 6-1 in Omaha, Neb.
Coming into the match Saturday on two game losing streak, UMKC put together its best performance of the year as the team controlled the doubles round and won five out of the sets in singles play.
Sophomore Grace Ball clinched the final set of the day for the Roos with a score of 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.
The Roos began Saturday’s match with convincing victories from Yana Grechkina and Riddhi Sharma in set number one and then Katie Fries and Thanushree Vale finished their set swiftly to lock up the doubles point on the day.
Fries, Grechkina, Sharma, Ball and Thea Dassy would pull off nice wins against Omaha, locking up the second win of the season.
“Super happy with the competitive spirit of the girls today,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “Playing on the road with injuries is never easy and the girls stepped up big today.”
Up Next: UMKC will stay on the road and travel to Conway, Ark., for a matchup with Central Arkansas on Friday, Feb. 15th.
Order of Finish: 3, 1
- Yana Grechkina/Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) def. Ines Absisan/Savanna Crowell (OMAHA) 6-3
- Grace Ball/Thea Dassy (UMKC) def. Janelle Wilson/Emily Behling (OMAHA) 6-3
- Katie Fries/Thanushree Vale (UMKC) def. Marie Kapelevich/Clare Crockett (OMAHA) 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6
1. Katie Fries (UMKC) def. Janelle Wilson (OMAHA) 6-2, 6-4
2. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) def. Ines Absisan (OMAHA) 7-6 (11-9), 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) def. Marie Kapelevich (OMAHA) 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
4. Grace Ball (UMKC) def. Emily Behling (OMAHA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
5. Savanna Crowell (OMAHA) def. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Thea Dassy (UMKC) def. Rylee Tucker (OMAHA) 6-4, 6-0
– UMKC –