KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The UMKC women’s basketball team (11-11, 5-4) fell in double overtime to California Baptist (13-11, 6-4) on Saturday afternoon, 95-92, in the Swinney Center. Junior guard Ericka Mattingly delivered the third triple-double in UMKC history with 28 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists in the loss.
In the first overtime game of the season, the Roos played a tightly contested back and forth contest with the Lancers, who would take its first lead of the game at the 4:20 mark in the first overtime period.
Ericka Mattingly proved to be a problem for the Lancers defense once again, as she came two points shy of her career-high 30 points, which came against California Baptist back on Jan. 10th. This is also Mattingly’s second triple-double of the season with the last one occurring on Nov. 29th in the win over Peru State.
With the game tied 92-92 all in double overtime, Lexy Ram of California Baptist nailed a three point shot with 13 seconds left to put the game away for the Lancers.
Heading into the final minute of play, Mattingly would hit a pull up three to bring the score 92-92 all before Ram’s winning shot.
After starting 5-1 in conference play, the Roos have now dropped three straight and sit at .500 for the season.
Senior forward Kristen Moore recorded 18 points and seven rebounds for the Roos. Moore was one of four players in double digits for the Roos on Saturday.
Leilah Vigil took over the first quarter for UMKC as she scored the Roos first eight points of the game while shooting 4 of 4 from the field. The freshman forward would end quarter number one with 13 points. For the game, Vigil recorded her ninth double-double on the season with 16 points and 15 rebounds.
“In a game like this, everything comes down to execution,” stated head coach Jacie Hoyt. “We made some key mistakes defensively down the stretch that hurt us. Cal Baptist was the team that had more heart today and that’s a standard I’m not okay with. We need to find a way to take more pride in ourselves on an individual and team level.”
Lancers forward Brittany Thomas scored a team-high 23 points on Saturday afternoon.
- The Blue & Gold will hit the road and head to Phoenix, Ariz., on Thursday, Feb. 14th at 7 p.m. CT to take on Grand Canyon.
- In regards to NCAA standings, Mattingly entered Saturday’s showdown 45th in points (18.9) and 12th in total assists (128) in the nation
- Scoring 28 points in the loss, Mattingly has now scored 20 points or more in 14 games this year
- The Roos had four player in double digits during Saturday’s loss versus the Lancers
- The Roos shot 30 of 78 (38.5%) from the court in Saturday’s loss
- UMKC shot 25 of 32 (78.1%) from the charity stripe
- Freshman guard Emily Ivory went 3 of 12 from three-point range today against the Lancers, marking 15 times where she has made multiple three pointers for the Roos
- With 61 three point field goals made on the year, Ivory remains 26 three-pointers away from tying Veda McNeal’s all-time single season record with 87 threes back in the ’92-’93 season
- The Roos were tied or held a lead until the 4:20 mark of the first overtime period.
- The Roos were out rebounded by Cal Baptist at a 56-53 margin
– UMKC –