BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (0-2) dropped its last three matches in singles play and fell to Illinois State, 4-3, on Saturday evening.
Coming into the last three matches of the day leading 3-1, the Roos would lose at the No. 4-6 spots and allow the Redbirds to come from behind to hand UMKC its second loss of the season.
After taking doubles play with wins from Diego Giraldo and Ben Stride in the No. 1 spot and then claiming the point in the No. 3 hole from Tom Kruse and Daniel Izadifar, UMKC would look to use that momentum heading into singles play.
Giraldo and Stride would go on to deliver two more victories on the day, giving the Roos a 3-1 lead heading down the stretch. But UMKC could not hold on after taking the first two singles matches, which ended up giving Illinois State the win on Saturday afternoon.
Hunter Clark played into a third set tiebreaker but could not hold on in the No. 4 spot, losing the match 3-6, 6-0, 6-3.
"Today was a really close match and a tough loss," commented assistant coach David Heckler. "The guys came out fired up and ready to go from the very first point in doubles on all three courts, which helped us immensely in getting the doubles point. The singles started out well going up a set on courts 2-4. In the end it came down to courts 4-6, who just did not have quite enough to pull it out."
Up Next: The Blue & Gold will take on Northern Illinois tomorrow at 9 a.m. CT
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Giraldo/Stride (UMKC) def. Sertkaya/Le Gal Perez (ISU), 6-4
2. Clark/Patel def. Kolaric/Bartra (ISU), 6-3
3. Kruse/Izadifar (UMKC) def. Lazarevic/Botifoll (ISU), 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1, 5, 4, 6
1. Igor Kolaric (ISU) def. Tom Kruse, 6-1, 6-4
2. Diego Giraldo def. Diego Le Gal Perez (ISU), 6-3, 7-6
3. Ben Stride def. Pol Botifoll Rius (ISU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Jorge Adair Bartra Quispe (ISU) def. Hunter Clark, 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
5. Aleksa Lazarevic (ISU) def. Anil Patel, 6-3, 6-0
6. Egehan Sertkaya (ISU) def. Josh McDermott, 7-5, 7-6
– UMKC –