LINCOLN, Neb. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (1-2) dropped its second match of the year at the hands of South Dakota, 6-1, on Saturday afternoon.
The Roos fell quickly in the first match of doubles play and then would falter in the next two matches, giving South Dakota a sweep heading into singles play. Katie Fries and Thanushree Vale would pull out a near victory in the No. 3 spot for doubles play but fell 6-5.
UMKC would pull out a nice victory to avoid the sweep Saturday afternoon with the victory of Riddhi Sharma, who provided a 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 victory in the No. 3 spot. Sharma, Vale and Thea Dassy all played into the third set in their singles matches today.
“Tough match today,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “We are still learning and growing as a new team with new players. We had three set matches and only pulled out one. I know we will get better at closing as we get some matches under our belt.”
Up Next: UMKC will take on Nebraska tomorrow at 11 a.m. CT to complete its trip to Lincoln, Neb.
Order of Finish: 1, 2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 6
1. Jana Lazarevic (USD) def. Katie Fries (UMKC) 6-4, 6-0
2. Habiba Aly (USD) def. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) def. Natka Kmoskova (USD) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
4. Emma Tranberg (USD) def. Grace Ball (UMKC) 6-0, 2-6, 6-3
5. Luana Stanciu (USD) def. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
6. Nanette Nylund (USD) def. Thea Dassy (UMKC) 4-6, 7-6, 7-5
– UMKC –