LINCOLN, Neb. – The UMKC men’s tennis team (0-1) opened up the 2019 season with a matchup against Nebraska, falling short however at a score of 6-1.
After taking the crown as WAC Regular Season Champions in 2018, the Roos gave the Cornhuskers a tough outing in both doubles and singles play.
UMKC fell to a 0-2 start in doubles play with losses in the No. 2 and 3 spots. Tom Kruse and Daniel Izadifar both fell in No. 3 hole while Hunter Clark and Anil Patel would later falter to the same score of 6-3.
Moving on to singles play, Nebraska would pull out three quick victories in the No. 4-6 holes. UMKC would later put on a strong showing in the No. 2 and 3 spots from Kruse and Ben Stride, who pulled off the only victory of the day in the No. 3 hole with a scorecard of 6-3, 3-6, 10-6.
Both Kruse and Stride would end up competing in a third set tiebreaker to complete Wednesday’s season opener.
“We had a good showing today against Nebraska,” stated assistant coach David Heckler. “We definitely have things to improve upon, but I feel we are at a good starting spot compared to past seasons. It took a few games on each court to get our energy to where we want, but once we were there our guys all fought hard and had competitive matches. A lot of the credit today goes to the Nebraska squad for playing well.”
Up Next: The Blue & Gold will head east to Bloomington, Ill., to face off with Illinois State at 3 p.m. CT on Saturday, Feb. 2nd and then Northern Illinois on Sunday, Feb 3rd at 9 a.m. CT.
Order of Finish: 3, 2
2. William Gleason/Isaac Nortey (NU) def. Hunter Clark/Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 1, 2, 3
1. Toby Boyer (NU) def. Diego Giraldo (UMKC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Micah Klousia (NU) def. Tom Kruse (UMKC) 6-1, 3-6, 12-10
3. Ben Stride (UMKC) def. Victor Moreno Lozano (NU) 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
4. William Gleason (NU) def. Hunter Clark (UMKC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Chris Dean (NU) def. Anil Patel (UMKC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Isaac Nortey (NU) def. Josh McDermott (UMKC) 6-0, 6-1
– UMKC –