BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (1-1) fell short of back-to-back victories to start the season as the team was defeated by Illinois State, 4-0, on Sunday afternoon.
After coming away with a narrow defeat in the match at Bradley University on Saturday, the Roos were unable to come away with the victory in Bloomington, Ill.
Moving onto singles play, Grace Ball fell short in the No. 4 spot while Thanushree Vale fell short of a victory in the five hole. In the last match of the day, Thea Dassy nearly came from behind to pull out a victory for the Roos in the No. 6 spot but was defeated with a scorecard of 6-4, 7-5.
Illinois State moves to 3-0 on the season with the defeat of UMKC on Sunday afternoon.
““The match was a lot closer than the score,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “We came out flat in the doubles and it carried over into the beginning of the singles. We tried to play catch-up but didn’t quite get there. The team had some good comebacks though today.”
Up Next: UMKC will take on South Dakota on Saturday, Feb. 2nd at 10 a.m. CT. The match will be played in Lincoln, Neb. The team will then take on Nebraska on Sunday, Feb. 3rd at 11 a.m. CT.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6
1. Veronika Golanova (ILST) vs. Katie Fries (UMKC) 7-6(5), 4-4, DNF
2. Tara Damnjanovic (ILST) vs. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) 3-6, 6-2, 1-2, DNF
3. Natalia Bravo (ILST) vs. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) 6-3, 3-5, DNF
4. Jana Kustkova (ILST) def. Grace Ball (UMKC) 6-4, 6-3
5. Ivon Mihaleva (ILST) def. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Laura Fitzgerald (ILST) def. Thea Dassy (UDM-W) 6-4, 7-5
– UMKC –