PEORIA, Ill. – The UMKC women’s tennis team (1-0) defeated Bradley University, 4-3, in the first match of the 2019 season. The Roos took two out of three matches in doubles play while splitting the singles matches with the Braves on Saturday afternoon.
Coming off a 2018 season that included a WAC championship title, the Roos pulled out a narrow victory with the help of Katie Fries and Thanushree Vale taking the first match and then Thea Dassy and Grace Ball securing the tiebreaker on Court 2 in doubles play.
UMKC was able to expand their lead by leaning on Ball at the No. 4 spot and Yana Grechkina at the No. 2 spot in singles play to help give the Roos a 3-1 advantage.
Clinching the match on Saturday afternoon was Vale, who defeated Bradley player Nina Marjanovic in the No. 5 spot 6-3, 5-7, 6-3.
“The fight of the girls really helped pull this one off today,” stated head coach Kendell Hale. “The first match is always the hardest but the ladies showed their maturity and championship attitude.”
UMKC will play tomorrow at Bloomington, Ill., with a matchup against Illinois State at 10 a.m. CT.
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Barbery/Maletin (BU) def. Grechkina/Sharma (UMKC) 7-6 (9)
2. Ball/Dassy (UMKC) def. Lojpur/Wijesinghe (BU) 7-6 (3)
3. Fries/Vale (UMKC) def. Marjanovic/Perlwits (BU) 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 5, 6, 3
1. Sandra Maletin (BU) def. Katie Fries (UMKC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Yana Grechkina (UMKC) def. Bozana Lojpur (BU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Malini Wijesinghe (BU) def. Riddhi Sharma (UMKC) 5-7, 6-3, 7-5
4. Grace Ball (UMKC) def. Natalia Barbery (BU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Thanushree Vale (UMKC) def. Nina Marjanovic (BU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
6. Nikki Perlwitz (BU) def. Thea Dassy (UMKC) 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
– UMKC –