KANSAS CITY, Mo. – As the 2019 New Year begins, so does the start of both men’s and women’s basketball teams playing at Swinney Center. This marks the first season that the men’s squad is playing all of their conference games at Swinney since the start of the 2012-13 season, joining the women at this intimate venue in the heart of the UMKC Volker campus. The Roo men will be hosting Chicago State on Jan. 5th and the women welcome in CSU Bakersfield on Jan. 17th as both teams are scheduled to play eight separate home dates after Jan. 1.
Historically, the men have played non-conference and league contests at Municipal Auditorium, approximately 10 minutes away from campus. Now, students, faculty, staff and the community have the opportunity to cheer on both teams all season long at Swinney.
“We’ve put together a very competitive and challenging schedule,” said men’s basketball head coach Kareem Richardson. “Playing the highly important WAC schedule in the intimate setting of Swinney, within easy reach of our student fan base, gives us a decided home-court advantage. We look forward to showcasing our talented squad and using the energy of the fans as our sixth man.”
“I have been very impressed with the growth of our fan base in Swinney this year,” said women’s basketball head coach Jacie Hoyt. “It seems that every game we have more and more fans and that energy is deeply felt and appreciated from myself and players.”
- Tickets: Call 844-UMKC-FAN or click here. UMKC students free with student ID. Single-game tickets start at $10 for a men’s game and $8 for a women’s game.
- Parking: Season ticket-holders with a parking pass may park in lot #4 and #40S, which is east of the Atterbury Student Success Center. All fans without a parking pass will have access to the Cherry Street Garage at the intersection of 50th Street and Cherry directly west of the Durwood Soccer Stadium. (see PDF of parking map)
- Game promotions: For the men’s home opener on Jan. 5th, the first 100 youth get a free T-shirt. For the women’s home opener on Jan. 17th, the game will be recognized as “Hoops N Heels.” For complete promotional calendar, click here.
- Valet Parking: A new benefit for season ticket holders will be valet parking. Fans will have the ability to pull up to within a few steps of the covered entrance of Swinney. This service will be complimentary for fans with courtside seats and available for a fee to all fans.
- VIP treatment: Courtside seats can be purchased for $52 (men’s single-game) and Club Reserved (men’s single-game) for $42. Both packages include premium seating, pregame hospitality and one parking pass. Tickets are available by calling 844-UMKC-FAN or clicking here.
- Food concession deals: There are a variety of food amenities available for purchase at Swinney. A few specials are two bags of popcorn for $1; nachos and a drink for $5; a pulled pork sandwich, chips and a drink for $7.
Related to the move to Swinney, UMKC Athletics has partnered with HOK for the design of enhanced branding. That project includes graphics for the venue and lobby and signage for the exterior of the building. Additionally, HOK is examining the installation of new LED video boards in the Swinney venue.
The transition of Swinney being home of both basketball teams supports the mission of UMKC campus leadership, starting with Chancellor C. Mauli Agrawal. The vision for the move stems from injecting campus with energy and pride and encouraging students to make Swinney as loud as possible.
“We want to create a culture of belonging here at UMKC – a sense of family or, as I like to call it, la familia,” said Agrawal. “We should all be interconnected with one another, and bringing our men’s basketball games back to campus is one more way we can generate an engaging experience for our students and our whole university community.”
Come out to watch your Roos and let’s Pack Swinney!
For more information on enhancements to Swinney and the work being done, CLICK HERE.
To read the official move to Swinney, announced in September, CLICK HERE.
#PouchofOuch #TeamKC #RooUp