MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. – The UMKC men’s basketball team (4-9) fell 81-72 on Wednesday night against Central Michigan (9-2) in McGuirk Arena.
The Roos led by as many as six at 39-33 early in the second half, but fell behind the Chippewas. UMKC reclaimed the lead and maintained it until the 10:34 mark when CMU tied the game at 51.
Central Michigan then used a 12-0 run to stretch its advantage to ten. The Roos closed the gap back down to as little as five three times, including lastly when Rob Whitfield buried a pair of free throws to make it 77-72 with 1:30 left on the clock.
UMKC, however, was unable to get any closer as CMU came away with the win.
In the opening half, the Roos fell behind by as many as seven as CMU notched the game’s first seven points. The Roos, though, claimed their first lead at 16-15 on a jumper from Whitfield, before using a 10-0 run to take a five-point lead.
UMKC stretched its lead to a game-high six, while taking a 35-33 lead into the break.
For UMKC, Xavier Bishop led the squad with 19 points, to go along with three assists and three rebounds, while Whitfield added 17 points, two assists and three rebounds.
Richardson on the Roos:
“It was a tough and hard-fought game. I thought our guys battled, but CMU was able to come up with some key offensive rebounds which led to points.”
· UMKC returns to Kansas City on Saturday when they welcome in Elon to Municipal Auditorium on Dec. 22 for a 2 p.m. CT contest.
· UMKC had a 10-0 run midway through the first half featuring a dunk from Jamel Allen and a three-pointer from Whitfield.
· With the loss, UMKC trails in the all-time series at 3-1.
· UMKC led by as many as six in the first half and in the second half.
· The game featured four ties and five lead changes.
· The Roos had 24 points from its bench, compared to CMU’s 19 and outscored the Chippewas 46-34 in the paint.
· Snaps UMKC’s two-game road winning streak.
– UMKC –