FORT WAYNE, Ind. – UMKC Men’s Basketball used balanced scoring to win its first road contest of the year in the 90-73 defeat of Purdue Fort Wayne this afternoon from the Memorial Coliseum. Rob Whitfield led the way with a game-best 23 points for the Roos (2-7). Xavier Bishop chipped in 20 points and four other UMKC players tallied at least 10 points.
The story of the game was taking care of the ball. The Roos scored 26 points off of 17 Purdue Fort Wayne (5-5) turnovers. Conversely, UMKC posted a season-low three turnovers. To complement the efficient offense, the Roos shot 52.1 percent (37-of-71) from the field, converting 13-of-28 (.464) from three-point range. Whitfield was one of the highlights as he was 7-of-9 from beyond the arc.
UMKC head coach Kareem Richardson stated this about the road victory.
“This was a great team win. We did an outstanding job of sharing the basketball this afternoon. Fort Wayne is a difficult team to guard because they shoot it very well from three (point range). We had many stretches this afternoon where we guarded our tails off.”
The Roos trailed 13-6 under the 16-minute mark. But the Blue and Gold went 3-of-5 from the field during the next stretch and the Roos eventually led 29-21 capped by a Bishop three-pointer, one of his four long-range bombs on the afternoon. UMKC would never trail the rest of the game, going into the locker room with a 36-32 edge.
Purdue Fort Wayne got to within four at 52-48 with 13:49 left in the game, but a Brandon McKissic lay-up sparked a 10-0 run and the Roos cruised from there.
Danny Dixon finished with 14 points, followed by 11 from Jordan Giles and 10 apiece from Jamel Allen and McKissic.
For the Mastodons, Kason Harrell was the team leader in points with 21. John Konchar posted a double-double with 17 points and 12 boards.
• The Blue & Gold will continue their three-game road trip against a former conference opponent when they take on South Dakota at 1 p.m. CT on Dec. 8 in Vermillion, S.D.
• The UMKC bench was superb today scoring 24 points, compared to 13 by the Mastodons.
• The Roos shot 65.6 percent (21-of-32) in the second half and out-scored Purdue Fort Wayne by a 54-41 count.
• The Roos even the all-time series with the Dons at 7-7. UMKC wins for the first time since January, 2013.
• The road win is UMKC’s first since Feb. 22, 2018 in the 83-59 victory at UT Rio Grande Valley.