UMKC Student-Athlete Support Services Office ______________________________________________________________________________
The Student-Athlete Support Services Office (SASSO) provides a variety of educational support to ensure student-athletes acquire the tools to meet their academic, professional and personal goals. SASSO integrates its services within the mission of UMKC and the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics to promote the overall development of the student-athletes. To foster the positive growth of student-athletes, SASSO provides a comprehensive support unit which includes, but is not limited to: academic counseling, academic mentoring, degree and NCAA eligibility monitoring, assessment, tutoring, computer access, academic and individual skill development, individualized study plans, a comprehensive Summer Bridge Program, academic workshops, knowledge of on-campus resources and Life Skill development.
The Student-Athlete Support Services Office (SASSO) is committed to providing student-athletes with a well rounded and diverse education. The support unit has been designed to enhance the experience of the student-athlete in the university setting by fostering independence, educational and personal values and leadership skills. The SASSO staff will continue to be innovative in meeting the education, personal and professional needs of our student-athletes while upholding the academic integrity of the university and maintaining compliance with NCAA and UMKC regulations
The goals of the Student-Athlete Support Services Office are to:
- Maintain the highest level of integrity in our dedication to the academic, personal and professional development of student-athletes.
- Ensure compliance with NCAA, Summit League, and UMKC academic eligibility requirements, policies and procedures.
- Inform student-athletes of the resources available to them on the UMKC campus in order to better assist them in their academic pursuits.
- Provide an environment which supports the goal of graduation for all student-athletes.
- Develop values which emphasize leadership, accountability, integrity, communication and inter-personal skills.
- Enhance the experience of the student-athlete by providing opportunities to be involved in the University, Athletic Department and the greater Kansas City community.
- Promote respect for diversity and gender equity.
- Encourage the development of well-balanced life styles.
- Support student-athlete initiatives through our dedication to Life Skills and the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).
UMKC Athletics Academic Points of Pride:
- The Athletic Department boosted a cumulative GPA of 3.31 after the fall 2015 semester.
- 16 of 16 teams finished the 2014-15 year with a cumulative GPA above 3.0.
- 73 student-athletes were awarded the distinction of UMKC Scholar-Athlete for 2014. This distinction is awarded to those with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and higher at the end of each year.
- During the Division I era 13 student-athletes have been named Academic All-Americans. Most recently, Courtney Frerichs (Women's Track and Field/Cross Country 2011-2015) earned the distinction in 2015, Eilise O'Connor (Women's Basketball 2010-2014) in 2014, and Kaelene Curry (Softball 2008-2012) in 2011 and 2012.
- 43 current student-athletes received their degrees from UMKC in 2014-15.
- The Graduation Success Rate (GSR) is 83%.
- The student-athletes logged hundreds of hours of community service - participating in service with Harvesters, Morning Glory Café, Center Middle School, and Habitat for Humanity.
- For 2012-2015 UMKC Athletics will receive the NCAA CHOICES Grant, a $25,000 grant to fund campus wide alcohol education.
SASSO Social Media: