The Shockers opened the match with a 3-0 record in doubles action to claim the point, as the No. 46 pairing of Matheus Pereira and David Cavalcanti took down sophomore Cameron Schoenhofer and junior Grant Fleming 8-2 at No. 1, Juan Estenssoro and Nestor Perez defeated sophomores Max Helgeson and Tomas Patino, 8-2 at No. 3 and at No. 2, Guillermo Nicol and Tomislav Gregurovic defeated junior Abdul Alawadhi and senior Gustavo Guerin, 8-4 at No. 2
Wichita State then took the match in singles play, with the UMKC freshman Conner Edwards giving the shockers the biggest challenge of the day from the No. 6 line. In the match, Edwards dropped the first set, 6-3 to Kester Black before rallying to tie the match at one set apiece with a 6-4 win. In the deciding set, Black was victorious with a 10-6 decision.
In the squad's other matches, Fleming fell at No. 1 to Pereira, 7-5, 6-1, while Patino dropped his match at No. 2 to Cavalcanti, 6-3, 6-4. At No. 3, Guerin lost to Gregurovic, 6-0, 6-2, while Schoenhofer was defeated at No. 4, 6-3, 6-1. In the final match of the day, Alawadhi lost to Estenssoro, 6-0, 6-3.
The Blue & Gold will look to pick up their first win of the season on Friday when they head to St. Louis, Mo., to take on Saint Louis in an inner state matchup.
No. 62 Wichita State 7, UMKC 0
March 7, 2012
Genesis Health Club - Wichita, Kan.
1. No. 46 Matheus Pereira and David Cavalcanti (WSU) def. Cameron Schoenhofer and Grant Fleming (UMKC), 8-2.
2. Guillermo Nicol and Tomislav Gregurovic (WSU) def. Abdulrahman Alawadhi and Gustavo Guerin (UMKC), 8-4
3. Juan Estenssoro and Nestor Perez (WSU) def. Max Helgeson and Tomas Patino (UMKC), 8-2
1. Matheus Pereira (WSU) def. Grant Fleming (UMKC), 7-5, 6-1
2. David Cavalcanti (WSU) def. Tomas Patino (UMKC), 6-3, 6-4
3. Tomislav Gregurovic (WSU) def. Gustavo Guerin (UMKC), 6-0, 6-2
4. Guillermo Nicol (WSU) def. Cameron Schoenhofer (UMKC), 6-3, 6-1
5. Juan Estenssoro (WSU) def. Abdulrahman Alawadhi (UMKC), 6-0, 6-3
6. Kester Black (WSU) def. Conner Edwards (UMKC), 6-3, 4-6, 10-6